Bourne has one of the best kept cemeteries in the country.
The town council, which is the burial authority in Bourne, in charge of the cemetery off South Road, has scored Gold in a competition run by an industry body.
The award from the Institute of Cemeteries and Crematorium Management comes as Bourne also took a Silver Gilt in the better-known East Midlands in Bloom.
Town Clerk Ian Sismey said: “We did very well and beat the opposition hands down. We came top in the parish,town and community category.
“We have a high level of maintenance, cutting the grass, trimming the bushes. It is also about the service we give to clients. We are not a cemetery that sticks rigidly to the rules. If families want a service on a Saturday or Sunday, we will do that.”
Bourne Town Council also took a Silver Gilt in East Midlands in Bloom.
Mr Sismey continued: “We have been doing this for many years. It gives us a focus to improve the environment. It’s still about horticulture but it’s also about the community coming together and enhancing the environment.”
Coun Colin Pattison, chairman of the town council’s amenities committee, said the Gold award in the cemetery competition came after three years of hard work.
Bourne had previously won this competition in the early years of this century. It saw the town council answer 58 pages of questions before judges visited Bourne.
Coun Pattison said he was ‘chuffed to bits’ for Bourne to win Gold.
Noting East Midlands in Bloom as well, he also thanked staff and volunteers for all their hard work.
He added: “For a relatively small town we punch well over our weight and do very well. We spend a fraction of the money other towns spend.”
- After undergoing robotic surgery for cancer, doctor wins gold medal
- Recently Opened Fridley Brewery Wins Gold Medal For German Dark Lager
- Indian Women's Compound Archery Team Wins Gold At World Championship, Men Finish Second | Archery News
- Asian Boxing Championships 2021 Men's Finals Highlights: Sanjeet Wins Gold; Amit Panghal, Shiva Thapa Bag Silver | Boxing News
- Cheltenham 2021 results: Day four results in full as Minella Indo wins Gold Cup
- Asian Boxing Championships: Sanjeet Wins Gold; Amit Panghal, Shiva Thapa Endure Close Defeats | Boxing News
- Wrestling-Trailblazer Mensah-Stock wants new role after winning gold
- Asian Boxing Championships: Pooja Rani Wins Gold, Mary Kom And 2 Others Bag Silver | Boxing News
- Amit Panghal, Sanjeet Win Gold At French Boxing Tournament | Boxing News
- Olympic champions Yang Qian/Yang Haoran win gold in 10m air rifle mixed team at National Games
- Lidl customers can win 'Gold Card' that gets them a year's supply of croissants
- Carlos Yulo wins gold, bronze in Japan gymnastics tilt
- EJ Obiena sets new Asian record, wins gold in Austria
- Canada’s Wesley Chiu wins gold at ISU Junior Grand Prix, Kaiya Ruiter takes bronze
- If sulking were an Olympic sport, France would win gold every time
- OLYMPIC SPIRIT? IT'S WIN OAR BUST
- Raining medals: Devendra Jhajharia, Sunder Singh Gurjar win silver and bronze in javelin throw F46
- 'Dumb luck this wasn't a fatality': Gold mine put on notice after tunnel collapse
- Investors Turn To Gold Amid Wall Street Worries
- The utterly joyful Who Cares Wins awards was worth my red carpet terror
Bourne wins gold for its graveyard have 529 words, post on www.stamfordmercury.co.uk at September 30, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.