Stand-in goalkeeper Adrian was the hero as his save from Tammy Abraham allowed Liverpool to beat Chelsea 5-4 on penalties and win the UEFA Super Cup on Wednesday (Aug 14) after a richly entertaining match in Istanbul finished 2-2 at the end of extra time. Liverpool’s team captain Jordan Henderson lifts the trophy after winning the UEFA Super Cup football match against Chelsea. (AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis) Every penalty in the shoot-out had been successful before Mohamed Salah stepped up to convert Liverpool’s fifth kick at the home of Besiktas. Substitute Abraham then had his effort saved by Adrian, the summer signing only playing in the absence of the injured Allison Becker. It is Liverpool’s fourth Super Cup victory, with their last coming in 2005 on the back of their memorable Champions League triumph, also in Istanbul. They have now won 13 European trophies overall, and how their supporters would love to come back to the banks of the Bosphorus for the final of this season’s Champions League. Sadio Mane had earlier been Liverpool’s star, cancelling out Olivier Giroud’s first-half strike to ensure the match ended 1-1 in 90 minutes, and then putting Jurgen Klopp’s team in front on 95 minutes…. Read full this story
- Griezmann hopes to end busy summer with UEFA Super Cup appearance
- France beat Croatia to win second World Cup as Pogba, Mbappe star
- Dynamo win Ukrainian Super Cup 2018 in Odesa with 1-0 score
- Rossvale take bonus penalty win in League Cup opener
- Even winning the FA Cup won't save Chelsea’s nightmare season, according to star
- 'Outstandingly good' Liverpool will try and win in Roma: Klopp
- When did France win the World Cup, how did they reach the 2018 final and what’s their tournament record like?
- Liverpool agree huge record deal for World Cup goalkeeper Alisson
- Milan clubs to test Madrid duo on August 11 in preparations for Super Cup
- Can Liverpool do Chelsea a favour by winning CL final?
Liverpool beat Chelsea on penalties to win UEFA Super Cup have 338 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at August 14, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.