Jussie Smollett’s PR team said Wednesday that ”every iota” of the actor’s account of being victimized by a racist, anti-gay attack in Chicago this past January is supported by police evidence, despite police repeatedly saying it was all staged.
The statement followed a filing by the city Monday defending its lawsuit that seeks to recoup the costs of investigating what it says was a January publicity stunt.
The statement says “every iota of information … Smollett has stated has been fully corroborated.”
The statement didn’t specify what evidence allegedly backs Smollett’s claim that masked men hurling racist and homophobic insults beat him and looped a noose around his neck.
In June, the Chicago Police Department released a trove of evidence gathered during the course of their investigation into Smollett’s claims. Surveillance video obtained by Fox News at the time appeared to show Smollett and two brothers – whom police insisted the actor paid to pretend to beat him – walking around the vicinity of the alleged attack site minutes before it happened, according to police notes.
Smollett’s attorneys argue federal court is the proper venue for the case because the actor, who lived in Chicago while filming the TV show, “Empire,” is actually a California resident.
Smollett is steadfast on clearing his name of allegations he staged an elaborate hoax hate crime against himself.
The city says GPS data, video and other evidence prove Smollett paid the men to fake the alleged hate crime.
State prosecutors abruptly dropped charges against Smollett related to making a false report in March. However, the Police Department and city officials maintain Smollett orchestrated the January incident and they’re trying to recoup $130,000 the city spent on police overtime.
Special prosecutor Dan Webb is currently investigating the state attorney’s decision to drop the charges against Smollett.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Horrifying true story behind serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer biopic
- Violent crime is like infectious disease -- we can stop it spreading
- Britain’s first acid attack killer is machine gun-toting rapper called ‘The General’ from notorious London Drill gang
- Peter Crouch's Premier League team-by-team guide 2018-19
- Labour MP trolled over sick grandson by lefties who hate him because of his views on Corbyn and Brexit
- The Cardiff kid who's the fastest player at Britain's best football team
- How smallpox claimed its final victim
- Why Facebook is failing to curb hate speech against Rohingya in Myanmar
- What was the Slender Man stabbing case, where are Anissa Weier and Morgan Geyser now and why did they attack Payton Leutner?
- The conspiracy theories about the Skripals and novichok which might be true
- Turkish officials say Saudi writer Khashoggi killed: Report
- From bleeding eyes to asthma attacks…12 weird things that could happen on your period
- Policing the Port: What life is like for officers on city's streets
- What happened when a 'serving GMP officer' answered questions on Reddit...
- As Sanctions Loom, Salisbury Residents Question Skripal Poisoning Narrative
- Why do we support the Iran regime when it is bitterly hostile to our way of life?
- Boris Johnson only got it wrong because he made the burka row about Boris
- Meghan Trainor on beating her secret body demons and planning her dream wedding
- Accused letter-writer admits sending derogatory missives
- Councillor ‘saw memorial vandals kick wreaths around like a football’
Jussie Smollett’s PR team says ‘every iota’ of hate crime attack claim is true in response to Chicago suit have 644 words, post on www.foxnews.com at August 28, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.