A 22-month old boy in HCM City suffered poisoning after being given rhino horn powder to reduce his fever.
Rhino horn is believed to hold medicinal properties by some people in Vietnam. Illustrative photo
The boy in Cu Chi District was taken to the Intensive Care and Poisoning Control Ward of Children's Hospital No. 2 recently in the state of high fever and cyanosis.
According to Dr. Huynh Thi Anh Tuyet, tests showed that he had the high content of Methemoglobin, which is around 30 times higher than permitted.
The boy's symptoms occurred a short time after his parents gave him some rhino horn power to drink to ease his fever. The rhino horn was presented by the family's friend.
Doctors said that the high Methemoglobin content was the result of drinking the power.
Following five-days intensive treatment using a ventilator and dialysis, the patient's health has improved and he has been moved to the Internal Medicine Ward for further treatment.
Nguyen Van Loc, head of the hospital's Poison Control Ward said that to date, there have not yet any scientific evidence to suggest that rhino horn can be useful for fever or any other diseases.
Methemoglobin disorder can cause people to lose consciousness or even pose the risk of death, Loc noted. Dtinews
- Drink spiking: 'Stop blaming the victims'
- Where are the best burritos in Manchester? We put them all to the test
- Retailers reveal the bestselling products of Black Friday 2018
- There are homeless children in Manchester living in dire conditions
- Jonestown cult that ended in mass suicide as 909 drank cyanide-laced "Kool Aid"
- Jonestown cult mass suicide 40 years since 909 died in horror
- Things to do in arts, entertainment for week of Oct. 13-19, 2019
- A hideous murder; a miscarriage of justice and the unhealed wounds
- Red Dead Redemption 2 review
- How discovery of 6ft bare-knuckle boxer’s skeleton reveals how tough life was in 1830s London
HCM City little boy poisoned after drinking rhino horn powder have 319 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at August 1, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.