REUTERS: Alphabet Inc’s Google is shifting its Pixel smartphone production to Vietnam from China starting this year as it builds a cheap supply chain in Southeast Asia, the Nikkei business daily reported on Wednesday.
The move comes as labour costs are rising in China along with added pressure from spiralling tariffs due to the ongoing Sino-U.S. trade tensions.
The U.S. internet giant plans to move most of its American-bound hardware out of China, including the Pixel phones and its smart speaker Google Home, Nikkei said.
The company plans to ship about 8 million to 10 million smartphones this year, double from a year ago, making Vietnam a key part of Google’s drive for growth in the smartphone market, the newspaper added.
Google will shift some production of the Pixel 3A phone to Vietnam before the end of this year, Nikkei reported citing sources.
For its smart speakers, some production is likely to be moved to Thailand but the company’s new product development and initial production for its hardware lineup will still be in China, the newspaper said.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the matter, outside regular business hours.
(Reporting by Rishika Chatterjee in Bengaluru; editing by Gopakumar Warrier)
- Google Pixel 3 prices slashed to new low, but some Android fans won't be happy
- The $522 refurbished Pixel 3 XL on Amazon is a stellar option if you want a top smartphone without paying top dollar
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ vs Apple iPhone: Which smartphone camera's better?
- Your smartphone screen is probably disgusting. Here's how to clean it
- Questions Raised on Tactics Used in Google's Facial Recognition Project
- Google extends chip-making efforts to design hub Bengaluru
Google to move Pixel smartphone production to Vietnam have 314 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at August 28, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.