Wigan jockey Tom Eaves is hoping to go one better when he rides Brando in today’s Group 1 Darely July Cup at Newmarket tomorrow.
The pair finished second in the race last year.
Eaves has enjoyed Group 1 victories overseas but is still awaiting his first win in a QIPCO British Champions Series race and a first UK Group 1 victory.
“My two biggest achievements have both been in France, including winning a Group One on this horse, Brando,” he said.
“I’ve finished second in a Group One at home so it’d be nice to go one step forward.
“He feels in great form at home and I’m looking forward to it. It would be great to win.”
Eaves, 38, was raised in Shevington and dreamed of becoming a jockey from a young age.
The 5ft 7in ace has now been racing for two decades and has no plans to stop any time soon.
“I’ve been doing this for 20 yeas and hopefully can carry on well into my 40s,” he said.
“I’m based in Firsk and many of my races are in and around the north of England. At this time of year I’ll be racing pretty-much every day.
“It’s always been something I’ve been interested it, it’s a way of life and it’s something I’ve always enjoyed.
“You have to keep yourself in good shape and one of the main things is keeping your weight under control and steady.”
Despite now being Yorkshire-based, the former St Peter’s High School pupil has not forgotten his roots.
“I do like to get home and have a pie,” he smiled. “I probably don’t get back to see my parents as much as I’d like, but Wigan is still very close to my heart.”
- Can Tom Cruise make a cameo comeback with 'Tropic Thunder'?
- The best movies of 1998
- Derby Update | Notes, quotes on every contender
- PIVEN ONLY TOO HAPPY TO PICK UPTHE CZECH
- Game of Game Of Thrones thrones: 43 big upcoming fantasy and sci-fi shows
- Neither right- nor left-wing, First Man plants its flag in a troubling ambivalence
- KNOW IT ALL
- IN THE END, IT'S JUST ANOTHER SHEIK-DOWN
- GAWKER PUTS CELEB STALKING ON THE MAP
- TIME FOR A SUPER BOWL. NFL needs it after mediocre year
- Change Agents: Seeing world through Meta's 3-D glasses
- OUTCOME ALL RELATIVE
- RISKY DRIVE? BRIT CITES LACK OF PHOTOG RESTRAINT
- MANHATTAN PHENOM 'HENGES' ON SUN
- ULTIMATE GOAL. No longer set on being NHL GM, Smith just wants in
- Movies on TV this weekend
- Teams share season goals
- Jay-Z exec deal looks def jammed
- Giants can't feel sorry for reeling Cowboys
- Short film reviews: 'The Damned United,' 'St. Trinian's,' 'Good Hair,' 'Free Style' and more
Wigan jockey Tom Eaves has sights on Newmarket glory have 456 words, post on www.wigantoday.net at July 12, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.