Singapore (VNA) – Singapore will spend 400 million SDG (294 million USD) on upgrading and maintaining its drains in the next two years as part of its efforts to cope with sea level rise.
The country will also pump 10 million SGD (7 million USD) into a programme studying sea level rise within five years to develop more robust sea level rise projections.
These efforts aim to prevent the risk that the island nation could be submerged by sea water.
Since 2011, Singapore has spent around 1.8 billion SGD (1.3 billion USD) on upgrading the drainage system.
To respond to climate change, Singapore has launched a tree-planting programme, built plans to protect water supplies from sudden shocks, and decided to build new projects such as Changi Airport Terminal 5 at higher platform levels.
According to Singaporean Deputy PM Heng Swee Keat, the government cannot do action alone, but needs to work with enterprises, individuals and organisations to seek creative and effective measures in order to cope with climate change.-VNA
- Del Mar will add 'managed retreat' to sea-level policy
- Unruly Antarctica could change sea-level outlook without much warning
- How to Save a Town From Rising Waters
- China, Singapore upgrade FTA, eye closer connectivity cooperation
- S'pore: Asian patent filings on the rise
- Wallem sails the high seas
- Effort Explained: Your Guide to Training Metrics
- Green awareness low but rising in Asia
- Bulgaria rising: Can a growing startup movement reinvent the country’s economy?
- Stoneman Douglas alumni rise up in incredible ways to support shooting survivors
- Europe, U.S. lead rise in IT governance efforts
- This one picture sums up climate change's growing role in coastal flooding
- February was the warmest month in recorded history, climate experts say
- Soaring ocean temperature is 'greatest hidden challenge of our generation'
- Climate change is raising quite the stink in Florida
- Friday the 13th coincidence: Up to a foot of snow in mid-April?
- NYC sues oil companies for the cost of adapting to climate change
- How Long Beach Is Trying to Cool Down
- East Anglia hacking: is this the ultimate litmus test on environmental politics?
- A Bid to Solve California’s Housing Crisis Could Redraw How Cities Grow
Singapore exerts effort to cope with sea level rise have 363 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at July 18, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.