“Paul Stanley the StarChild o f KISS”
Dr. Rox Remeber When? for WDGY
Article #100 June 2019
By: RLSchwinden aka MrZerr0
> Opening <
When I was a kid going to 7th grade in Brandon (Jackson) Mississippi I was into bands like Monkees, Beatles & Steppenwolf, then my neighbor Jimmy S. played “Sweet Pain” by KISS for me in the Summer of ’76, then he handed me the album cover (Destroyer), I was blown away. This was the kind of band I had been looking for. Since my Dad was a drummer I immediately took to Peter Criss, but later I felt more a kin to Ace, but as I could not play Lead Guitar, I found myself studying very hard to copy Gene’s Vocal style as his voice gave me shivers. But Alas back in 1987 when putting together my 2nd KISS Tribute Band “Black Diamond” I found I was pushed into the role of Paul Stanley, as I could sing really well and Play Rhythm Guitar at the same time. moving ahead to 2013 I met a guy wanting to form a new KISS Tribute band and was in need of a Paul Stanley, so here I went again, reprising the role of Paul, and have for the past 6 years now. On Sunday 30 June 2019 my WDGY Radio Show “Mr. Zero’s PsychoGello Show” Episode #99 was on “Paul Stanley: Solo Years” so I felt it only fitting my 100th Article should be on the same subject. So I will briefly cover the solo years of Paul Stanley:
> The Beginnings <
He was born Stanley Bert Eisen, on 20 Jan 1952 in Manhattan, NYC, but grew up in Queens, NYC, sometime in 1972 he decided to go by “Paul Stanley” (not to be confused with the TV Director Paul Stanley: 1922-2002) his father’s parents were from Poland and his father William was born in April 1920 and his mother Eva was born in Berlin, Germany 16 Nov 1923 – 29 Sep 2012, and immigrated to Holland in 1939 when the Nazi’s invaded Poland, sometime in the late 40s Eva moved to NYC. Paul has an older sister Julia who has a daughter and 2 children. Paul has been married twice 1st in 1992 -2001 to Pamela Bowen they have a son Evan Shane: 1994. His 2nd wife Erin Sutton, together they have 3 children; Colin – 2006, Sarah – 2009 & Emily – 2011.
Though Paul was born with Microtia, a malformed right ear causing him to be deaf in that ear (he had plastic surgery in 1982 to create a new right ear) he loved music and began his musical career in the mid 60s after seeing the Beatles and the Rolling Stones on ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’ in 1964 and 65. Paul’s 1st band was ‘Uncle Joe’ in 1966 with his friend Matt Rael and Neal Teeman, they recorded at least 1 song “Stop Look To Listen”. His next band was the ‘Post War Baby Boom’ 1967 -1968 with Matt’s brother John Rael they also recorded at least 1 song “Never Living Never Loving” his 3rd band was ‘Tree’ in 1969 with Stephen Coronel (21 Mar 1951: Manhattan) a former band-mate of one Eugene Klein (Gene Simmons) from the bands ‘Long Island Sounds’ and ‘Bullfrog Bheer’ ‘Cathedral’ and ‘Coffee’ it was Coronel that introduced Stanley to Simmons, together Esien, Klein & Coronel formed ‘Rainbow’ in 1970 which evolved into ‘Wicked Lester’ in 1971. In late 1972 Stanley and Simmons added Peter Criss to form ‘KISS’ and early 1973 then added Ace Frehley. KISS has had 24 songs on the Billboard Charts, released over 35 albums and 60 singles.
> Interactions <
I have met Paul several items over the years the 1st time was in Dec 1982 in Sioux City, Iowa I caught up with him before the show and was able to talk with for about 20 min. I asked him about his: 1.Midnight Special Guitar. 2. Stephen Corornel. 3. His Family. 4. The set list from 1974 to 1975 and into 1976. 5. The previous nights set list. 6. Ace Frehley being replaced by Vincent Cusano. 7. His new animal pattern on his guitar and boots. I was thinking about covering this “sort of interview”, but this would be a whole page in its self.
The almost 2nd time was in Des Moines, Iowa and I actually missed him, as Roadie Romeo Bonilla brought Paul into my store to say “Hello” I was not there as it was my only day off that week in Dec 1987, a real bummer of a story.
The 3rd time was through Label Rep. David K. in Oct 1990 again in Sioux City. I was able to ask Paul about his new “Record Deal” with Sony Music, he explained with was a Publishing Deal writing songs for other artists such as Cher, Karen Newman, Paul Dean (Loverboy), Voodoo X, Robin Beck, Crown Of Thorns, Craig McLachlan, House Of Lords, Wildside, War Babies, Jeff Paris and Bonfire to name a few. And about certain songs he had written such as “Black Diamond”.
The last time was in Nov 2003 in Minneapolis through record rep Sharyl B. I asked him about the KISS “Alive Symphony” CD and the book I contributed to “Alive Forever” 2002 Billboard Books. There is a photo of me and the band on fb from this night.
As Paul has been a member of KISS since 1972, he has primarily worked within KISS, however he has released:
> Album Releases <
1. ‘KISS: Paul Stanley’ released in Sept 1978 his 1st solo album, which was the 3rd best selling of the 4 KISS solo albums with a one word review from the time “Kiss”
2. ‘Live To Win’ released in Oct 2006 his 2nd solo CD.
3. “One Live KISS” released in Oct 2008 his “Live DVD” for the tour of his 2nd solo CD.
4. “Soul Station” to be released in 2019, a “R&B Covers” album of Paul’s favorite R&B songs.
5. “Face The Music” his 1st Book released in April 2014 on HarperOne
6. “Backstage Pass” his 2nd Book released in April 2019 on HarperOne
> Outside Projects <
Paul also worked on many other projects while in KISS, I will cover these few right now.
In the Early days of KISS the band played a song Paul wrote “Life In The Woods” in June 1973, which was not released on an album. (KISSin Time plays parts of it in practice)
In Aug 1975 Paul & Co. recorded “Mistake” and “It Ain’t The Smoke” at Magna Carta Studios in NYC. Intended for what would be ‘Destroyer’ these 2 songs have never been on an album
Paul produced the band “New England” 1st album in 1979, they opened for KISS on the 1979 “Return Of KISS Tour”.
In late 1980 Paul recorded the song “Deadly Weapons” for the album that was suppose to follow ‘Unmasked’ (Gene later used the title in 1985)
Paul sang on the song “Falling In Love” on the 1981 ‘Balance’ album with Bob Kulick & Pepe Castro.
He was the 1st to appear in a film without makeup, though most of his scene was cut in “Young Doctors In Love” from July 1982; as a Singer who swallowed his microphone. (2 years before Gene Simmons’ film debut).
In Aug 1983 Paul and Vinnie Vincent wrote a song titled “You, It’s You” that did not make it onto the album “Lick It Up”
In late 1983 into 1984 Gene Simmons Produced a Wendy O’ Williams solo album “W.O.W.” using unused demos from KISS including the song “Ready To Rock” with guitar by Paul. Gene, Ace, Eric Carr & Vinnie Vincent also appear on the album.
As KISS took the later part of 1986 off, Paul considered making his 2nd solo LP he recorded the following “Sword And Stone” “Time Traveler” “When Two Hearts Collide” “Best Man For You” “Jump The Gun”
In Aug 1988 Paul & Gene appear in the film “Decline Of Western Civilization Part 2 Metal Years”.
In Oct 1989 Paul sings on the soundtrack for the film “Shocker” on the title song with Tommy Lee of Motley Crue. Paul’s song “Sword And Stone” was covered by ‘Bonfire’ on the same album.
In 1989 Paul appeared on the MTV show “Mouth To Mouth” and performed “Rock And Roll All Nite” solo.
Sometime in May 1992 Paul and Dave “Snake” Sabo of: SKID ROW wrote “Do You Wanna Touch Me Now” which did not get released however the song “Clock Strikes” was released by; ‘Wildside in May 1992
In Jan 2008 Paul released a duet with Sarah Brightman (14 Aug 1960: Hertfordshire) the song “I Will Be With You (where the lost ones go)”
In Dec 2014 Paul filmed a commercial for “Folgers Coffee” which was apparently not released.
Back in 2016 someone saw me in a “KISSin Time” Post and sent me “Time Limit Link” that had a song that Paul Stanley sang and played on. I passed it around to try to find out who it was, alas the link expired before I could identify it.
Then in April 2016 Paul recorded a song with Ace Frehley, the ‘FREE’ song “Fire And Water”
Paul went on to write songs for, or work with these other artists as well: Stan Bush, Crown Of Thorns, Lenita Erickson, S.Manning & P. Rafferty, Christine Lunde, Eddie Money, Garbo Talks, KUNI, Silbermond, Click 5, Bad Candy, Erik Gronwall, PUSHKING.
> The Solo Tours <
Paul has embarked on 3 Solo Tours; here are set lists for each one:
18 February 1989 Saturday in Brooklyn at L’ Amour’s
I Stole Your Love
I Want You
Tears Are Falling
Tonight You Belong to Me
C’mon and Love Me
Wouldn’t You Like to Know Me
Heaven’s on Fire
Hide Your Heart
I Still Love You
Crazy Crazy Nights
Reason to Live
Lick It Up
Let’s Put the X in Sex
Detroit Rock City
Bob Kulick: KISS Session Guitarist
Eric Singer: KISS Drummer
Gary Corbett: KISS Touring Keyboardist
Dennis St. James (Feldman): Bass for ‘Balance’
7 November 2006 Tuesday in Maplewood, MN. at The Myth
Live to Win
Hide Your Heart
A Million to One
Got to Choose
Tonight You Belong to Me
Lick It Up
Wouldn’t You Like to Know Me
I Still Love You
Every Time I See You Around
Do You Love Me
I Want You
Detroit Rock City
Jim McGorman – guitar, backing vocals
Rafael Moreira – guitar, backing vocals
Sasha Krivtsov – bass
Nate Morton – drums
Paul Mirkovich – keyboards, backing vocals
28 Feb 2016 Sunday in Pasadena, CA. at The Rose
La-La Means I Love You
Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
Let’s Stay Together
You Are Everything
The Tracks of My Tears
Dancing in the Street
Betcha by Golly, Wow
Ooo Baby Baby
Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours
The Way You Do the Things You Do
I Want You Back
Could It Be I’m Falling in Love
Well there you have it Fans, a brief history of Paul Stanley’s work outside of KISS. I would recommend you check out my WDGY Radio Show on “Paul Stanley: Solo Years” at www.MrZeroS.Com – Podcast. You can catch my show Live at 7am on Radio WDGY 740 AM, Streaming & FM: 92.1, 103.7, 107.1.
You can catch Me portraying Paul Stanley in “KISSin Time” Alive; a Tribute to ’74 KISS at Neisen’s in Savage, MN. 55378 on 4851 123rd St. W. Call: 952. 486. 4513.
Check in next time when you can see me from the Starz….. MrZerr0
1744 Lexington Ave. N.
Roseville, MN. 55113
- Paul Stanley’s Soul Station Previews Debut Album With Cover of Five Stairsteps’ ‘O-o-h Child’
- Bryan Cranston Gets Stranded in the Desert With Evan Stanley in ‘Memories’ Video
- Normal People's Paul Mescal displays his hunky physique in a black tank top as he's joined by hunky body double on Australian set of new film Carmen
- Katie Holmes keeps it simple in black trench coat with jeans on solo outing in New York
- Selena Gomez is smothered in kisses by her poodle puppy as she shares footage from the set of an undisclosed project on Instagram
- Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse accidentally stayed in sex hotel while filming new show
- Meet yMusic, Paul Simon’s Genre-Crossing Chamber Ensemble of Choice
- The court's that way! Leggy Hilary Swank lavishes handsome beau Philip Schneider with kisses as he attempts to watch the tennis at star-studded Wimbledon women's final
- Normal People star Paul Mescal changes into Gaelic football shorts in Sydney for a smoke break between scenes on set of Carmen
- Year in Review: The 10 Best Reissues of 2020
- Celebrity deaths in 2020: Famous faces lost this year from Caroline Flack to Stella Tennant
- 'Tis the season for solo pantos: Cinderella and co are going it alone
- Drummer Simon Phillips on His Years With the Who, Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, and Toto
- ADRIAN THRILLS: When Jon Bon Jovi wanted a second opinion on his new album, he played it to Bruce Springsteen and even sang a track to Paul McCartney
- Michael B. Jordan and bikini-clad girlfriend Lori Harvey get wet and wild kissing, jet-skiing, and splashing about during lavish St. Barts getaway
- Mike and Paul: He swore off dating apps, then met his partner on Instagram
- Who is WandaVision star Paul Bettany and is he married to Jennifer Connelly?
- Just One of 2020’s Top Songs Came From a Solo Songwriter
- Sylvain Sylvain, iconic guitarist for the New York Dolls, has passed away at 69 years of age... following a two-year battle with cancer
- 100 Greatest Movie Songs From 100 Years of Film
Paul Stanley of KISS: The Solo Years have 2201 words, post on patch.com at July 3, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.