Why it matters: A source familiar with the matter described the partnership as an extension of an existing agreement to work together on commercial vehicles. Further details could be hashed out at a meeting next week, we’re told.
Ford and Volkswagen have agreed to share autonomous and electric car technologies with each other according to a report from Reuters published on Friday.
As Engadget correctly points out, a partnership of this nature could have a huge impact on each company’s ambitions and the automotive industry in general. For Ford, it could fast track electrification plans and for Volkswagen, it would allow them to transform one of their biggest rivals into a customer.
Drivers (consumers) may see a reduction in competition and options but odds are, it’ll speed up advancements in the industry and make tech more affordable.
A spokesperson for Ford said their talks with Volkswagen continue, adding that discussions have been productive across a number of areas. More details will be shared when they’re firm, the spokesperson said. Volkswagen’s representative declined to comment on specific details of the potential alliance but did note that talks with Ford are going well thus far.
A separate source told Reuters that Volkswagen’s supervisory board is planning to discuss deepening its alliance with Ford at a meeting on July 11.
Masthead credit: Electric car at charging station by MDOGAN
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Uber - Biden, Democrats dig into legislative specifics
- Chinese smartphones driving digital payments adoption in India: PhonePe report
- Climate change: How UK plans to reach net zero by 2050 - here are the key details
- Brexit latest: Brussels hardball tactic obliterated by damning new report - 'EU needs UK!'
- What fitness tech and apps do the Android Central staff actually use?
- Germany and France 'WILL give AstraZeneca jab to over-65s' in major U-turn aimed at speeding up shambolic vaccine drive
- By 2025, 650 million Indians will watch short form videos for an hour daily: Bain & Company Report
- Apple just had a blowout quarter, thanks to iPhone 12 sales
- Opinion: WhatsApp is a lifeline for two billion users. Facebook isn’t doing enough to protect it
- Inside Prince William and Kate Middleton’s surprising car history
- On Ontario finances, PCs find what everyone knew was there
- Tesla quarter may hinge on China factory, supply chain costs
- Apple Has Acquired The Most Number of AI Companies Since 2016: Here's What It's Up To
- ITC regains swagger as it re-enters Club Elite of Indian stocks
- 'Big Short' investor Burry says he's no longer betting against Tesla
- Brexit: Article 16 immediately! Fury erupts as stubborn EU refuses to budge on ECJ
- German coalition talks to begin: What SPD, Green Party, FDP have agreed on so far
- Himax Technologies, inc (HIMX) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS OCTOBER 19
- JetBlue Airways Corporation (JBLU) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
Ford and Volkswagen reportedly reach agreement to share self-driving and electric tech have 491 words, post on www.techspot.com at July 5, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.