Since earlier this month, China’s oil survey vessel Haiyang Dizhi 8 and its escorts have conducted activities in the southern area of Vietnam’s East Sea, known internationally as the South China Sea. Tran Cong Truc, former head of the National Border Committee, said Vietnam’s northern neighbor wants to turn Vietnamese territory in the East Sea from an undisputed to a disputed area to achieve two things. First of all, China wants to create some kind of legitimacy for its infamous “nine-dash line” claim that encircles as much as 90 percent of the waters. The line runs as far as 2,000 kilometers from the Chinese mainland to within a few hundred kilometers of the Philippines, Malaysia and Vietnam. China claims that the geographic entities that lie within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and on the continental shelf of the waters’s southern area all belong to its Nansha Islands, known in Vietnam as Truong Sa (Spratly Islands). It also claims shoals in this sea area as part of the Nansha Islands over which it says it has “inviolable sovereignty,” Truc said. “For its second purpose, China wants to occupy the entire East Sea and use that as a stepping stone to become… Read full this story
- U.S., China tariff situation not likely to end soon, experts predict
- East, Auburn boys advance to IHSA cross county sectionals
- East Mississippi, Jones advance to state junior college football title game
- Your fancy sea salt may include a dose of microplastics
- China's Military Sends Undercover 'Students' To Western Universities to Steal Technology, Research Reveals
- Ivanka Trump’s latest trademarks in China include voting machines, sausage casings
- China's Xi Jinping says places 'high premium' on Pakistan ties_ as army chief v...
- LTE Advanced and 5G Market (RAT, HSPA, GSM, WiMAX, Wi-Fi) Size, Status and Forecast to 2025 Research Report
- Japan PM Abe says arranging visit to China next month
- Chevron, BakerRipley open hub for entrepreneurship, STEM in East Aldine
China fomenting East Sea instability to advance superpower ambitions: expert have 335 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at July 23, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.