AFTER being the bookies favourite to win the Peterborough by-election, Brexit Party candidate Mike Greene was pipped to the post by Labour’s Lisa Forbes.
But who is the Secret Millionaire, and what happened in the by-election vote? Here’s everything you need to know.
Who is Brexit Party’s Mike Greene?
Mike Greene, 54, is a businessman, and losing by-election candidate for the Brexit Party.
Having left school with eight O Levels, he built a successful career as a retail entrepreneur and took on consultancy roles at large companies including Phillips and Shell.
Mr Greene built his business globally before returning to Peterborough, the city where he grew up, living in a council estate.
He now lives there in a mansion with his wife and two children.
In 2012, the British businessman sold his research consultancy firm Him! and pumped investments into the hugely popular music app Shazam, before it was eventually sold to tech giant Apple in 2018.
He is a former trustee of Peterborough Cathedral and local benefactor.
Was Mike Greene on The Secret Millionaire?
Greene appeared in episode six, season nine, of Channel 4’s The Secret Millionaire - a reality show which sees millionaires go incognito into impoverished communities and agree to give away tens of thousands of pounds to worthy recipients.
His episode aired in 2011 and featured Greene volunteering at an emergency YMCA shelter for 16 to 25-year-olds by providing computer equipment to help homeless people with job searches and job application letters.
Returning to Bretton and Dogsthorpe, where he grew up, Greene also helped secure the future of New Ark Adventure Playground in Reeves Way, saving it from closure.
On the show he said: “I always knew I was going to be wealthy and have what I wanted.”
What was his campaign?
Before taking on the task of campaigning, Greene reportedly split his time between charity work, mentoring and his personal life, with hobbies including mountaineering and sailing.
He is involved in a project which saw Peterborough City Council’s Bayard Place offices bought for £5.95million, with planning permission already granted to convert the building into 115 flats.
In a video introducing his candidacy, Mr Greene said: “I never wanted to get into politics but the system is broken.
“I am asking you to vote for me as the Brexit Party candidate to get a politician in Peterborough who wants to work for you.”
He added: “This city, like this country, can do so much better.
“There is so much to celebrate, but often people say about Peterborough – isn’t that where you go to get a new passport?
“We are an hour and a half from four international airports. We need someone who cares about the city.”
Did he win the Peterborough by-election?
Unite activist Lisa Forbes was elected with a tiny majority over Mike Greene in a chilling warning of how Jeremy Corbyn could make it to No10 by splitting the vote.
Labour edged to victory on June 6, revealing the huge fight the Tories have on their hands as Mr Farage’s popularity soars.
Given 60 per cent of voters in the area backed Brexit in the 2016 referendum, their party very nearly made history yet again.
Mr Farage had been hoping his party would secure its first MP, just 2 months after it formed.
The Tory and Brexit vote together would have been more than enough to see off Labour in the by-elections.
What were the results in full?
Lisa Forbes (Labour) 10,484 (30.91%, -17.17%)
Mike Greene (Brexit) 9,801 (28.89%)
Paul Bristow (Conservative) 7,243 (21.35%, -25.45%)
Beki Sellick (Liberal Democrat) 4,159 (12.26%, +8.92%)
Joseph Wells (Green) 1,035 (3.05%, +1.27%)
John Whitby (UKIP) 400 (1.18%)
Tom Rogers (Christian People’s Alliance) 162 (0.48%)
Stephen Goldspink (English Democrats) 153 (0.45%)
Patrick O’Flynn (Social Democratic Party) 135 (0.40%)
Howling ‘Laud’ Hope (Official Monster Raving Loony Party) 112 (0.33%)
Andrew Moore (Peterborough People’s Party) 101 (0.30%)
Dick Rodgers (Common Good) 60 (0.18%)
MOST READ ON BREXIT
Countryfile viewers fuming with ‘negative’ Brexit comments in farming segment
RED TAPE BLITZ
Boris Johnson’s new task force will set business free of old EU rules
NOT PERI NICE
Brit’s Nando’s sauce confiscated at Gibraltar border under new Brexit rule
IN A RUTTE
Brexit-bashing Dutch PM forced to QUIT along with cabinet over benefit scandal
KICK IN THE POLLOCKS
PM faces the wrath of Scots fishermen hit by Brexit delays at ports
Foreign drivers caught speeding in UK will get off due to new Brexit rules
Which political party was he in before?
Mike Greene was a lifelong Conservative supporter before moving to the Brexit Party.
He is frustrated by the immovable Brexit impasse and wants to make a change to get the UK out of the EU.
- Mike Greene: Brexit Party's candidate for Peterborough by-election is lifelong Tory voter and star of Channel 4's Secret Millionaire
- General election: Farage claims No 10 offered Brexit Party candidates jobs to stand down
- Brexit Party has 3,000 applications from would-be MPs wanting to fight the next general election
- 77% Want UK Businesses to Get Britons Back to Work Rather Than Importing Immigrant Labour
- May has called a snap general election. Our writers respond
- Opposition MPs led by Lib Dem leader Ed Davey write to EU chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier asking for an extension to Britain's leaving date despite Boris Johnson ruling it out
- Dominic Cummings 'is set to quit in six months': Boris Johnson's under-fire chief adviser 'will leave after drawing a line under Brexit'
- New Labour leader Keir Starmer vows to lead party into 'new era'
- 'Six children and he's never changed a nappy': Tory Remainer Anna Soubry slams Jacob Rees-Mogg as she faces backlash for threatening to QUIT party unless May ejects 'hard' Brexiteers
- Boris Johnson faces his biggest rebellion yet as MPs from all wings of the party line up to tell him Dominic Cummings MUST go – just hours after PM backed his Svengali over lockdown breach row
- Conservative manifesto: Theresa May targets mainstream Britain'
- George Galloway to stand in Manchester Gorton byelection
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: Klobuchar being vetted by Biden as running mate
- Standing or standing down? Politicians consider their options
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Mnuchin: More COVID-19 congressional action ahead
- Durham Police investigation finds that Dominic Cummings DIDN'T break lockdown rules with 260-mile trip to find childcare - but 'might have' breached guidance with drive to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight
- 'Don't drag us into Cummings row': Slapdown for reporters after they accuse Boris Johnson of blocking them asking government science advisors Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance about PM's aide
- Is this Sajid Javid's bid for revenge? Former Chancellor who resigned amid row with Dominic Cummings leads chorus of criticism for aide - as group of Tory MPs refuse to listen to Boris Johnson's 'let's move on' plea and STILL say he must go
- Boris Johnson faces a grilling from senior MPs today - but questions on Dominic Cummings will be squeezed into a 20-minute slot with other Covid topics as 40 Tories call for No10 aide's head over lockdown scandal
- Six Cabinet members 'privately believe Dominic Cummings should resign' while 40 Tory MPs call for Boris Johnson to sack him over 'lockdown breach' controversy
Who is Mike Greene? Brexit Party candidate loses to Labour’s Lisa Forbes in Peterborough by-elections have 1312 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at June 7, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.