Ambassador Duong Chi Dung, head of Vietnam’s permanent mission to the United Nations in Geneva (Photo: VNA) In opening the session, Ambassador Dung stressed the importance of cooperation in the framework of multi-lateral frameworks to address increasingly complicated common challenges to international peace and security. He recalled Vietnam’s contributions when it served as President of the CD for the first time in 2009, and underlined the country’s commitment to making continued contributions to peace and security, particularly when it was just elected to a non-permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council for 2020-2021 and will take up the rotary Chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in 2020. The Ambassador shared Vietnam’s priorities and tasks as CD President, especially holding simultaneous consultations with member countries, CD Presidents in 2019, coordinators and the secretariats, to gain understanding of all sides’ concerns and thus seek solutions to existing obstacles. Under Vietnam’s initiative, for the first time in CD’s history ASEAN Secretary General Lim Jock Hoi was invited to attend and speak at the plenary. The Secretary General reiterated ASEAN’s commitment to disarmament and non-proliferation of nuclear weapons, and introduced the main contents of the Southeast Asian Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone Treaty (SEANWFZ). He called on countries with… Read full this story
- ASEAN countries welcome Vietnam’s initiatives to enhance cooperation
- Seminar discusses Vietnam-US cooperation in defence, security
- 85 percent of Vietnam's enterprises remain outside of Industry 4.0: report
- Vietnam, US hold 10th political, security, defence dialogue
- Vietnam, US review cooperation in settling war consequences
- Vietnam's insurance industry keeps thriving in first half of 2019
- Iran coach cautious ahead of clash with Vietnam
- What are Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un discussing at the Vietnam summit and have they reached an agreement?
- Vietnam to host 2020 Highlights of ASH in Asia-Pacific
- Vietnam’s Phu Quoc emerges as dream wedding venue for Indian billionaires
Vietnam chairs plenary of Conference on Disarmament have 323 words, post on english.vov.vn at June 25, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.