It is not weird for a Southern Baptist pastor to pray for the president of the United States. Yes, 81 percent of white evangelicals voted for Donald Trump, and have remained firmly supportive of the president during his first two years in office. Yes, he has surrounded himself with a coterie of evangelical advisers who have cemented the association between conservative Christianity and Trumpism. But even among the evangelical pastors who spoke out against Trump in the run-up to Election Day 2016—and they did exist—praying for the president is a given. As Russell Moore, a major Southern Baptist leader and a vocal Trump critic, wrote shortly before Trump’s inauguration, it is “our obligation as Christians to pray for all those who are in civil authority.”
So when Trump visited McLean Bible Church, a D.C.-area mega-church, over the weekend to show his support to the victims of the Virginia Beach mass shooting, which took place the night before roughly four hours away, it was to be expected that the pastor there, David Platt, would pray for the president. Trump showed up in the middle of the afternoon, after a round of golf, and made no remarks. The two men stood onstage together, eyes shut, Platt holding his Bible. “We stand right now on behalf of our president, and we pray for your grace and your mercy and your wisdom upon him,” Platt said. “We pray that he would look to you. That he would trust in you, that he would lean on you. That he would govern and make decisions in ways that are good for justice, and good for righteousness, and good for equity, every good path.”
- The single most important quality a president must have
- Indian village where Kamala Harris' grandfather was born prays for her win
- Trump spiritual adviser Paula White prays for 'angels' to help Republican president
- How tragedy shaped man poised to be America's new president: After a life dogged by family trauma and political failure, Joe Biden - a used car salesman's son from Pennsylvania – closes in on the White House
- U.S. President Donald Trump and First Lady test positive for COVID-19
- Trump will be a former president, whether he concedes or not
- Mitt Romney is the first senior Republican to congratulate Joe Biden and call him president-elect - as party's senior figures wrestle with how to deal with Donald Trump's refusal to concede
- 'Since when did the Lamestream Media decide who the President is?' Trump doubles down on refusing to concede and Melania backs his claims of fraud - but Republicans start telling him to give up the fight
- Joe Biden to become the second Catholic president ever, following JFK
- God Wanted Donald Trump to Become President, 25 Percent Believe, According to New Poll
- US Election 2020: Inside the Pennsylvania church where they pray next to their AR-15 rifles
- ‘I Will Have To Pray For Them’: James Clyburn Suggests Black Trump Supporters Need Prayer
- Sen. Chris Coons: Joe Biden is a man of faith dedicated to serving others — as president he can heal America
- Donald Trump Invites Pastor Franklin Graham to Pray at North Carolina Rally
- Clyburn on Black Trump Voters: ‘I Will Have to Pray for Them’
- Paula Rego: 'Germaine Greer scared me and the President of Portugal nearly killed me'
- Marathon man Trump: President finishes up his fifth rally across five states in Florida and tells the crowd he's going to win because he's ‘running as an American’ while Biden is ‘running as a Democrat'
- Brock Pierce, former child star, discusses his 2020 run for president
- US 2020 Election: Fani-Kayode prays for Trump
- My North-East experience and prayers for President Buhari
On Praying for the President have 594 words, post on www.theatlantic.com at June 3, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.