Former U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says D-Day celebrations taking place in Europe are especially important this year, given the strain on international institutions like the European Union. The ex-Obama administration official told DailyMail.com outside the Normandy American Cemetery that the EU ‘was created to stop people from killing each other’ and Allied nations ‘don’t want to go back’ to pre-war fault lines. ‘At a time when Europe is challenged, when people are pulling at institutions, I think it’s particularly important to focus on and think about what was accomplished here,’ he said of the June 6 invasion of German-occupied France 75 years ago. Former U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says D-Day celebrations taking place in Europe are especially important this year, given the strain on international institutions like the European Union Allied forces stormed the beaches of Normandy, with the Americans landing at a site nicknamed Omaha Beach nearby the memorial and cemetery. French and American Presidents Emmanuel Macron and Donald Trump – with whom Kerry does not get along – honored the soldiers’ legacy at a Thursday afternoon ceremony. American legislators like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi also attended. Members of Pelosi’s party are pushing for Trump’s… Read full this story
- ‘You have to respect the office’: Tiger Woods steers clear of Trump criticism
- Transcript: John Kerry on "Face the Nation," September 2, 2018
- John Kerry under fire for comparing President Trump to 'an insecure teen girl'
- Rubio Wants John Kerry to Face Probe Over Iran Nuclear Deal Talks
- I respected John McCain, says former jailer in Vietnam
- Jeremy Corbyn’s closest ally John McDonnell says he would never fire nuclear weapons – even to protect the UK
- Former boss John Still says Daggers will always be his club
- Council offers grants for day of community activities for older people
- Transcript: John Kerry on
- Portsmouth demands to be UK heart of D-Day 75 commemorations
John Kerry says D-Day 75 especially important because 'Europe is challenged' and 'people are pulling at institutions' - as he and Pelosi steer clear of talking about Trump at American ceremony have 328 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at June 6, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.