Today, Hanoi celebrates its 65th anniversary of liberation (October 10, 1954 – October 10, 2019).
On the morning of October 10, 1954, about 200,000 residents with flags and flowers turned out on the streets to welcome home the Vietnamese People’s Army and take over the capital from the French. Hanoi then rejoiced with the liberation.
Memories of the glorious and heroic victory overwhelm the city and country each year. It is an inspiration for generations of Hanoians.
After 65 years, the citizens share the same victorious spirit and pledge to preserve Hanoi as a City of Peace and a centre of politics, culture and economic development.
VNS presents a photo series of the capital now and then. The photos were a collection of those taken in 1954 and recaptured by VNS photographer Truong Van Vi in October 2019.
Please roll the handle to see images of Hanoi now and then.
A view of Hàng Đào Street today.
Hàng Đào Street when citizens welcome the Vietnamese People’s Army on liberation day on October 10, 1954.
Long Bien Bridge now.
French troops leave Hanoi via Long Bien Bridge on October 10, 1954.
The Cua Nam Junction now.
Liberation forces enter the capital through Cua Nam Junction on October 10, 1954.
Foreign visitors passing Hoan Kiem (Sword) Lake.
Vietnamese soldiers are welcomed by Hanoians by Hoan Kiem Lake on liberation day.
Visitors walking through the Doan Mon Yard or the then-Cot Co (Flag Pole) Yard in Thang Long Citadel.
The first flag hoisting ceremony taking place at the Cot Co (Flag Pole) Yard in Thang Long Citadel on liberation day.
Long Bien Bridge now – … and then when a soldier stands guard after the French forces have left.
The Presidential Palace now.
A Vietnamese soldier guards the palace of then French Governor-General of Indochina.
Part of Hanoi’s Old Quarter now
Citizens gather around Hanoi to welcome the Vietnamese liberation force.
- Volkswagen Beetle Celebrates 65 Years in America
- Hot Rod Magazine to Celebrate 65 Years With Huge Car Show This Weekend
- Land Rover Celebrates 65 Years With Defender LXV Special Edition
- Ididit Celebrates 20 Year Anniversary With A Car Show – Film at 11:00
- 2017 Detroit Autorama 65 Years of Show Car History
- Shell Malaysia celebrates 125 years with art project
- 2010 Rodeo Drive Concours D’Elegance to Celebrate 75 Years of Jaguar
- AmericanMuscle Celebrates 10 Years With Built Mustang and New Raptor Giveaway
- Dodge Celebrates 100 Years with Limited-Edition Charger and Challenger
- Thrush Exhaust is Celebrating 50 Years of Waking up Your Neighbors