Winfried Langner was returning home in the German state of Lower Saxony on Tuesday after canceling a road trip to Scotland after being detained by police for hours.
“Trekker-Willi,” or “Deutz-Willi” after the brand of his vehicle, had paid €2,000 ($2,250) for a ferry trip from the Netherlands to the English port of Newcastle and was continuing his journey to Scotland. After being repeatedly pulled over by police and checked, “he felt genuinely persecuted,” his daughter Sabine Langner-Uslu told the German dpa news agency.
Langner himself found even stronger words talking to the local Täglicher Anzeiger Holzminden newspaper: “It was pure chicanery, what they put me through. In the end I told them to kiss my ass.” The local paper first ran the story, with the headline “Trekker-Willi does his own Brexit.”
Langner’s slow-moving vintage tractor “Robert” and its trailer “Snail” was perhaps an unusual sight on English roads, however the octogenarian previously completed successful tours to the Spanish island of Mallorca, the North Cape — considered the northernmost point of Europe — and St. Petersburg in Russia.
He had wanted to drive along the well-traveled and picturesque North Coast 500 (NC 500) route around the Scottish coastline, but police accused him of being too old to drive a tractor and trailer, and of not having a valid driving license.
There is no upper age limit for driving in the UK, although drivers are sent a form to renew their license when they reach the age of 70. Then, drivers have to reapply every three years for a permit. European licenses are valid on British roads, at least for now — depending on Brexit’s outcome.
Shattered dreams: ‘Trekker-Willi’ had hoped to reach the northernmost point of Scotland
“My father found the allegations impossible,” said Langner-Uslu. “He did not understand what the police wanted from him.” It was also difficult that he hardly spoke any English.
She said that her father was disappointed that after so many successful trips, he wasn’t able to realize his dream of driving to Scotland.
- 'Tom Watson MUST quit': Victim's son blasts Labour's deputy leader over his role in VIP paedophile scandal 'witch hunt' as MP refuses to apologise for championing 'Nick'
- "A Honeypot For Assholes": Inside Twitter’s 10-Year Failure To Stop Harassment
- Scotland independence referendum: ‘No’ vote victory
- Riot cops march through Hong Kong using tear gas to stop fresh protest outside a police station after two nights of chaos and threat of China sending in troops after military convoy was spotted at a sports stadium near the border
- Roger Ailes Sexually Harassed Me. I Thought I Was The First and Last
- ‘CAB violates the Constitution’: Former IPS officer Abdur Rehman on why he quit the service after 22 years
- Roger Federer admits to suffering ‘breakdown’ during end of season tour
- ‘A legitimate zoo?’ How an obscure German group cornered global trade in endangered parrots
- Anna Soubry: Election candidate jailed for harassing ex-MP
- The Controversial Crime-Fighting Program That Changed Big-City Policing Forever
- Meet the scientists quitting academia for climate activism
- Will U.S. academies expel sexual harassers?
- FMIA: Annual NFL Training Camp Tour Begins—And It’s Already In Jeopardy
- Tour Western Australia with a motorhome in an epic 23 day trip featuring whales and gold
- German zoo recaptures escaped lions, tigers after flooding
- Tour company needs front up to White Island disaster, PR expert says
- German rescuers hailed as heroes after freeing fat rat from manhole
- Pankaja quits core team, dares BJP to sack her
- Do the Right Thing review – Spike Lee's towering, timeless tour de force
- UK destined for Brexit as Johnson wins big
German pensioner quits big tour of Scotland after police 'harassment' have 1245 words, post on www.dw.com at May 28, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.