A scandal that brought down Austrian Vice-Chancellor Heinz-Christian Strache was on Saturday (mAY 18) enlisted into European Parliament electioneering in neighbouring Germany, with top politicians warning against his far-right allies. The leader of the German Christian Democrats called far-right populists ‘enemies of freedom’. (Photo: AFP/Odd ANDERSEN) Germany’s Der Spiegel and Sueddeutsche Zeitung published hidden-camera recordings, allegedly showing Freedom Party (FPOe) leader Strache promising public contracts in return for campaign help from a fake Russian backer. After Strache resigned in a press conference Saturday, the head of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s conservative CDU party Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer said the affair showed “people like this mustn’t be allowed to take any responsibility in Europe”. “Far right populists are the enemies of freedom,” said foreign minister Heiko Maas from the centre-left Social Democratic Party (SPD). Austria’s conservative Chancellor Sebastian Kurz had been “irresponsible” to invite them into his government, Maas added. Other parties used the opportunity to warn the CDU off potential alliances with German far-right outfit Alternative for Germany (AfD). Votes later this year in Germany’s former communist East look set to hand the party strong results that could make it hard to build regional coalitions without them. Centre-right parties across Europe “should end… Read full this story
- Top German court rejects appeal from far-right leader over his 'cheeky Jew' remark
- Germany: Mural honors victims of far-right Hanau shooting
- What happened before THAT photo: New pictures reveal how white 'far-right activist' was surrounded by angry crowd at BLM demo - before he was plucked to safety by black activist
- Far-right thug who kicked officer to the ground during counter-BLM protest is career criminal with 110 previous convictions as police chief slams his actions as 'unacceptable' and 'shameful'
- Boris Johnson wants to know why Brexit is being linked to the Far Right. Here's why
- 13 Photos Of Rowdy Far-Right And Far-Left Protesters Facing Off In Portland
- Serving probationary Met police officer, 21, charged with being member of far-right terrorist group National Action
- Charlottesville Police 'Spread Thin' Amid Unrest at Far-Right Rally
- Police officer, 21, charged with being member of far-right terror group
- 'Daddy did such a good job': Eight-year-old daughter of hero Black Lives Matter protester tells of her pride after he carried 'far right activist' to safety during violent demo
German leaders use Austria scandal to blast own far right have 389 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at May 19, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.