Tesla CEO Elon Musk will have to go to court after calling one of the British divers who rescued a group of Thai boys from a cave a paedophile.
The tech billionaire called Vernon Unsworth a “paedo” on Twitter after the diver dismissed Musk’s attempts to help rescue the soccer players as a “PR stunt.”
Mr Unsworth is seeking £58,000 in damages from Mr Musk, as well as seeking a court order stopping Mr Musk from making further disparaging comments.
The entrepreneur had attempted to have the case dismissed but a federal court judge rejected the complaint and set a trial for October 22.
Mr Unsworth claims the Tesla chief executive defamed him with “unlawful, unsupportable and reprehensible accusations”, according to Sky News.
The diver co-led the operation to rescue 12 Thai boys and their football coach from Tham Luang cave in 2018.
Mr Musk claimed his insult was protected from legal action, but the judge overseeing the case disagreed.
This is the second time in less than a year that Musk’s comments on Twitter have landed him in legal troubles.
Last year, Musk and Tesla reached a $40 million settlement of allegations that he misled investors with a tweet declaring he had secured financing for a buyout of the electric car maker.
He then had to go to court earlier this year to defend himself against assertions that he had violated an agreement with the Securities and Exchange Commission about his tweeting.
The young footballers and their coach were trapped in the cave complex last June after a sudden flood blocked their exit.
After 18 days in darkness, they were saved by a team of medics and divers led by British experts and Thai Navy SEALs.
All 12 members of the The Wild Boars football team and their coach survived the dramatic feat.
However, one diver, former Thai Navy SEAL Saman Kunan, died after delivering oxygen tanks to the boys during previous rescue attempts.
- Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance review – how one tech billionaire plans to save the world
- Tesla’s Entire Board of Directors Settles SolarCity Lawsuit – Except Elon Musk
- Elon Musk is a SoundCloud rapper now, in 2020’s weirdest twist
- Fury Over ‘Space Junk’ Mounts As Elon Musk Set to Launch a Further 60 SpaceX ‘Internet Satellites’
- 'Ill-Prepared': Elon Musk's Girlfriend Grimes Reveals She's Had Complications During Pregnancy
- Tesla's batteries could be bigger business than electric cars – Elon Musk
- Elon Musk claims it 'won't be long' before Tesla's flagship Model S can travel 400 miles on a single charge
- Elon Musk's girlfriend Grimes admits being 'woefully ill-prepared' for pregnancy
- Elon Musk Can’t Lose
- Elon Musk calls British cave diver 'child rapist' in new claim
- Tesla shares dive after two executives quit and Elon Musk cannabis interview
- Elon Musk Didn't Help Save The Thai Boys. Now He's Attacking Someone Who Did.
- A British Cave Rescuer Is Officially Suing Elon Musk For Calling Him A Pedophile
- Elon Musk unveils first tourist for SpaceX 'Moon loop'
- Elon Musk smokes marijuana live on web show
- Making $3.5 billion in an hour, Elon Musk takes revenge on Tesla short-sellers
- Foreign Isis fighters must face trial on home soil, Kurds say
- Tesla Directors Settle, Isolating Musk As SolarCity Trial Looms
- WEF Day 2: Trump kept Europe's richest man Bernard Arnault by his side, called Musk a genius; Prince Charles hung out with Greta
- Judge throws out Extinction Rebellion eco warriors' trial over protest that caused chaos at London City Airport because policeman due to give evidence was on holiday
Elon Musk facing trial after calling British diver a paedophile have 561 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at May 11, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.