The world’s top two economies on Thursday were due to resume fraught trade talks just as a truce between them verged on collapse, with hostilities poised to escalate after months of seemingly collegial negotiations. Rather than sealing a deal this week — as officials in both countries had previously hinted was possible — Chinese trade envoy Liu He instead returns to the bargaining table just hours before Washington is due ramp up tariffs on hundreds of billions of dollars in his country’s most valuable exports. President Donald Trump tweeted Wednesday that Liu still wanted to “make a deal” but late in the day China vowed to retaliate by taking “necessary countermeasures” should Trump persist in more than doubling the tariffs on Friday. This was not how the week was initially meant to go. The sudden rupture has roiled global stock markets this week, inflaming anxieties among exporters, markets and industries that had been lulled into optimism in recent months as both sides steadily announced progress in their efforts to end the trade war Trump started last year. American officials this week accused their Chinese counterparts of retreating from major planks of an agreement they had been working toward since early… Read full this story
- Agriculture Secretary Perdue lowers expectations for ending trade battle with China
- Jack Ma Says Donald Trump's Trade War With China Could Lead to Military Conflict
- U.S. vs. China Trade War: Can U.S., Donald Trump Win the Trade War with China?
- Trump’s Trade War With China Will Last for 20 Years, Warns Alibaba Chief Jack Ma
- U.S. Trade Deficit with China Costs State 100K Jobs
- Juncker and Trump’s transatlantic trade truce falters
- U.S. working to diversify farm trade away from China: ag chief
- Trade war: US, China slap new tariffs on each other
- U.S. trade gap with China sets record despite tariffs, Port of Long Beach sees decrease in overall trade volume
- Matt Bevin: Kentucky governor to lead trade trip to China
As trade truce collapses, US, China scramble to revive a deal have 343 words, post on en.rfi.fr at May 8, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.