One person has reportedly been killed and four others hospitalised after a gunman opened fire at a synagogue outside San Diego.
Worshippers were celebrating the last day of Passover when the suspect, thought to be heavily armed and wearing tactical gear, stormed the Chabad of Poway, California, around 11.30am local time today.
There is now no known threat after a man was detained after the incident.
But authorities have boosted patrols at places of worship as a precaution, San Diego Police Chief David Nisleit said.
Poway Major Steve Vaus told US media outlet CNN that one person had lost their life in the shooting.
He also wrote on Twitter: “Hate has no place in ANY community… least of all Poway.
“We will put our arms around each other and walk through this tragedy as the family we have always been and always will be.”
The incident came exactly six months after a shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue killed 11 people in the deadliest attack on Jews in US history.
Officials said San Diego County deputies were called just before 11.30am.
Four patients were admitted to Palomar Health Medical Centre Hospital at around 12.30pm, spokesman Derryl Acosta said.
A handful of police cars were parked outside the synagogue in the city of Poway, just over 20 miles north of San Diego.
Crime tape surrounded the street in front of the building.
Passover began on April 19 and ends on Saturday.
In Pittsburgh, a truck driver who authorities say expressed hatred of Jews has been charged in the October 27 rampage at the Tree of Life synagogue.
He has pleaded not guilty.
Top news stories today
- 5 sailors presumed dead in Navy helicopter crash off San Diego coast, search suspended
- 15 Burning Questions for This Week’s San Diego Comic-Con
- Shooting at San Diego-area synagogue: 1 dead, others injured in what the mayor calls a hate crime
- 5 sailors presumed dead in MH-60S helicopter crash off San Diego are identified after 72-hr search fails to find bodies
- 5 dead, including gunman, in Northern California shooting rampage
- Navy Releases Identities Of 5 Sailors Declared Dead After Helicopter Crash In San Diego
- San Diego protest outside mayor's home sees gunfire incident; suspect arrested
- Jason Aldean Ran from Stage When Las Vegas Gunman Opened Fire
- NYPD: Man Waiting For Cab Hit By Stray Bullet In Shooting Near Penn Station, Gunman Opened Fire After Dispute
- Gunman opened fire at funeral of 'Mr Ibiza' - before mourners chased him down
- 5 Missing Sailors Declared Dead After Helicopter Crash
- SoCal Recall Election Polls Officially Open For Voters Saturday Morning
- Officials: Temple Gunman Page Associated with 'Hate Group'
- Biden Says He Visited 'Tree of Life' After Massacre; Synagogue Says 'No'
- California Recall: GOP’s Faulconer Still Trying To Make Mark As Election Nears
- The Walking Dead season 11: Daryl and Leah reunite as Reapers attack in next episode promo
- QAnon conspiracy theorist who ‘shot own kids dead with speargun’ faces death penalty
- Brewers’ Willy Adames Has A Case For NL MVP In A Wide-Open Race. But Just How Good A Case?
- Gunman kills two people in German synagogue shooting on Yom Kippur
- Germany told to get tough on far-right terror after gunman kills nine in shisha bars
One dead and four injured after gunman opens fire at synagogue near San Diego have 515 words, post on www.dailyrecord.co.uk at April 27, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.