US authorities created a secret database of journalists and activists linked to a caravan of Central Americans who tried to enter the US last year from Mexico, NBC reported.
In some cases authorities flagged their passports for alerts, the San Diego, California affiliate of NBC reported.
It cited documents leaked to it by a source in the Department of Homeland Security who requested not to be named.
It said these documents list people who officials thought must be screened at the US-Mexico border.
They included 10 journalists, seven of them US citizens, an American lawyer and 47 people from the US and other countries who were labelled as organizers, instigators or with “unknown” roles.
The target list includes advocates from organizations such as Border Angels and Pueblo Sin Fronteras, said the affiliate, NBC 7.
In addition to flagging the individuals for extra screenings, the Homeland Security said agents also created dossiers on each person listed.
“We are a criminal investigation agency, we’re not an intelligence agency,” the source said, according to NBC 7.
“We can’t create dossiers on people and they’re creating dossiers. This is an abuse of the Border Search Authority.”
NBC 7 said a Customs and Border Protection spokesperson declined to confirm or deny the validity of the documents.
The spokesperson said in an email that after incidents like breaches of the border wall in San Diego or violence against border agents it is routine to collect evidence for possible future legal action and to determine if such acts were pre-meditated.
“CBP and our law enforcement partners evaluate these incidents, follow all leads garnered from information collected, conduct interviews and investigations, in preparation for, and often to prevent future incidents that could cause further harm to the public, our agents, and our economy,” the statement said.
- 703,506 poor Nigerians receive N23.7bn from $322.5million Abacha Loot — MANTRA Report
- 703,506 poor Nigerians received N23.7bn from Abacha loot — Report
- US child migrants: Ivanka's mother and child photo sparks backlash
- In Singapore, migrant coronavirus cases highlight containment weak link
- Nepal's top court orders rescue of migrant workers stranded abroad
- 'We're happy to risk our lives so this country can overcome this pandemic': Doctor makes impassioned plea to recognise migrant workers on NHS front lines– as dead Filipino nurse's husband fights for his life
- Supreme Court OKs Deportation of Legal Migrant for Drug Convictions
- NYT’s White House Reporter: Immigration Raises Americans’ Wages
- Umahi to Vanguard, The Sun reporters: If you think you have the pen, we have the koboko
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - House clears virus package; Trump breaks with Fauci
- NHS staff should reuse PPE gear as a 'last resort', leaked government report reveals - as hospitals begin laundering single-use gowns and medics buy their own protective wear from DIY stores
- ‘Distortion Of Fact’: China’s Ambassador To US Disputes Allegations The Country Covered Up Virus
- Trump advisor Peter Navarro accuses China of 'creating coronavirus probably in a lab' and 'committing four kills' with its response to COVID-19
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Will Trump's plan to reopen the economy work?
- Looking into reports that coronavirus ‘escaped’ from Wuhan lab: Trump
- 56,800 migrant dead and missing: ‘They are human beings’
- Coronavirus live updates: 51 cases reported at Safeway distribution center in Tracy
- Report: 450,000 Illegal Immigrants Are Getting College Degrees
- UK making 'impossible demands' over Europol database in EU talks
- Gov’t review panel suggests NSA stop holding massive phone database
US created database of reporters covering migrant caravan: report have 561 words, post on en.rfi.fr at March 6, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.