Hanoi (VNA) – Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc on March 15 chaired a meeting on the plan to set up the district-level town of Sa Pa in the northwestern province of Lao Cai, highlighting the establishment’s necessity to local development.
Over the past years, Lao Cai has been mobilising resources for developing Sa Pa district into a big tourism centre of the province, as well as Vietnam. The number of tourists there grows by 23.4 percent annually, surpassing 2.5 million in 2018.
There are 571 services establishments in Sa Pa district at present, including one- to five-star hotels, and 34 travel agencies. Many tourism projects have been put into use like the Fansipan tourism and entertainment complex and the Sa Pa cultural park. Meanwhile, transport, power and water supply, and telecom infrastructure has also been improved to meet local development demand.
At the Hanoi meeting, officials shared the view that as Sa Pa is developing rapidly and comprehensively, it is necessary to establish a town on the basis of Sa Pa district so that it can truly hold the key role in terms of defence and security along the Vietnam-China borderline.
They said the establishment will create the legal foundation to change the local government model from the one of a rural area to that of an urban area, which will help with the administrative management in a locality with rapid urbanisation.
Lao Cai officials affirmed that the future town will have the size of and funding for its apparatus unchanged compared to those of the current district. The upgrading is meant to have a suitable government apparatus for Sa Pa’s development.
Echoing the view, PM Phuc said upgrading Sa Pa into a district-level town is an objective requirement as a result of economic development and defence-security ensuring demand.
He agreed that the plan to set up Sa Pa town and its wards will be submitted to the National Assembly Standing Committee for consideration.
He asked Lao Cai to keep good management of Sa Pa, uphold ethnic groups’ culture, protect and develop forests, ensure defence-security, promote solidarity among local communities, and maintain its image as a hospitable destination in visitors’ eyes.-VNA
- The Legends Season 3: Sa Re Ga Ma Pa’s Gourab Sarkar to take the audience on a musical journey
- Cape Town is running out of water — I visited and saw what the financial problems of 'Day Zero' look like on the ground
- Pre-K 4 SA partners with Southside charter school
- Poll: Dem Conor Lamb Double Digit Lead in District Redrawn by PA Supreme Court
- Wealthy Grandson of Progressive Henry A. Wallace Failing as Dem Congressional Candidate in PA
- Town might finally be getting Wetherspoon pub after five-year saga
- PA TV to Pregnant Palestinians: Your Baby Is a ‘Martyr for Palestine’
- Delays to JD Wetherspoon opening pub in Norfolk town
- Town’s history to be brought to life with new heritage trail
- Town’s street lights to be replaced with smart technology LED lamps