Apart from being one of the guarantors of the ceasefire in Syria, Russia also assists Damascus in the postwar reconstruction of the country and the repatriation of refugees, and makes efforts to help ensure the settlement of the conflict in Syria at various international platforms.
The next Astana meeting on Syria has been tentatively planned for April on the level of deputy ministers, Vershinin said, adding that the specific dates of the talks were subject to further coordination among the participants.
“We are yet tentatively scheduling the next high-level meeting on Syria to be held in Astana in April. The specific dates as subject to further coordination […] High-level [meeting] means on the level of deputy ministers, Vershinin told reporters in Brussels.
Vershinin also said he had discussed the ways the Astana format talks on the Syrian reconciliation could be useful for advancing the Geneva consultations on Syria with UN Special Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen in Brussels.
“Today, we have discussed, including during the detailed consultations with the UN secretary-general’s special representative, Pedersen, the issues of Syrian settlement, from humanitarian support to the political process; the ways the Astana format could be useful in terms of advancing the talks and consultations in Geneva”, Vershinin told reporters.
Vershinin also noted progress in the process of forming the Syrian constitutional committee, stressing it could be completed in the near future.
“I can say, without disclosing all the details of the ongoing diplomatic cooperation, that we have made significant advances on our way to complete the formation of the constitutional committee in the near future … I am optimistic about rapid, effective and fruitful conclusion of our joint work which will allow launching this committee”, Vershinin told reporters, adding that three Syrian ceasefire guarantor states were working on the committee formation in cooperation with the UN Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen.
“I also met with US Special Representative for Syria James Jeffrey and with a number of delegations; all of them underlined the need for the soonest launch of such a constitutional committee and completing its formation”, the Russian diplomat pointed out.
Since 2011, Syria has been struggling with conflict, which left millions of people in need of humanitarian assistance, many of them displaced. Since the Syrian government has taken back the territory previously held by terrorists, the focus has shifted toward the rebuilding and return of refugees.
- FBI investigated Trump campaign advisor’s Russia links: report
- Trump warns Russia missiles 'coming' after Syria attack
- Russia reiterates support for Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- Russia objects to bringing Syria before the International Criminal Court
- White House concerned by Russia's military moves in Syria
- Mueller submits report on bombshell Trump-Russia probe
- Fight for Syria's Aleppo exposes limits of Russian air power
- Syria's Assad shows no willingess to compromise
- World powers step up pressure on Syria, Russia over chemical attacks
- EU accuses Russia of risking Syrian peace diplomacy
- A turning point in resolving Syria’s crisis
- US probes three attacks in 24 hours for terror links
- Will the Russia-US ceasefire agreement bring peace to Syria? Current Affairs
- Cambridge Analytica shared data with Russia: whistleblower
- Experts take samples from site of alleged Syria gas attack
- Russia opposes militarization of sea disputes, continues arms support for Vietnam
- Syria: seven years of conflict
- Russian withdrawal from Syria won’t weaken Assad
- More than 150,000 displaced in northwest Syria in one week: UN
- Russia, Arabs call for an end to Syria violence
Russia Against Linking Political Motives With Syria Rebuilding Efforts have 628 words, post on sputniknews.com at March 15, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.