The Hanoitimes – The sanctions leave direct impact on North Korean economy shown through a sharp decline in exports last year. What are visions for the denuclearization after second no-deal summit? The failure of the second Trump-Kim summit in Hanoi suggests sanctions remain a big issue between the US and North Korea, foreign media quoted international experts as saying. The UN Security Council votes to adopt a resolution imposing sanctions against North Korea. Photo: Getty Images North Korean nuclear negotiator Kim Yong Chol told Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in May 2018 that Pyongyang’s shift away from weapons was “not a result of sanctions that have been imposed from outside.” But in July 2018, Seoul-based Bank of Korea estimated the North Korean economy had seen its biggest decline in two decades, with the country’s real annual gross domestic product (GDP) falling by 3.5% in 2017 while exports declined 37.2% in 2017 alone. Benjamin Katzeff Silberstein, a non-resident fellow at the Stimson Centre in Washington, recently published an overview of North Korea’s economy ahead of the Hanoi summit, wrote “the regime is likely under a great deal of stress concerning the economy.” “The sharp decline in North Korea’s exports last… Read full this story
- What's New About the Latest UN Sanctions Against North Korea?
- EU Ready to Increase Sanctions Against North Korea Over H-Bomb Test
- Japan Expands Sanctions Against N Korea Over Nuclear, Missile Tests
- How North Korea got away with the assassination of Kim Jong-nam
- How North Korea Cheats Sanctions
- Confidential UN report: North Korea continuing nuclear, missile programs
- Russia Ready to Help Deescalate Tensions With North Korea
- New Cold War? North Korea Strengthens Ties with Cuba After Threatening Nuclear Attack on U.S.
- US to Call Special Session of UNSC on North Korea - Source
- North Korea Refuses to Hold WHO Regional Session Due to Sanctions - Reports
How much do US-led sanctions hurt North Korea economy? have 319 words, post on www.hanoitimes.vn at March 7, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.