Families across Hartlepool will learn children’s secondary school places from this morning as National Offer Day arrives.
Parents who applied online in Hartlepool can learn the place allocation decision for their child on the council’s website at www.hartlepool.gov.uk/schooladmissions .
Allocation letters will be posted second class to parents or guardians who didn’t apply online
Families who applied online but were unsuccessful at gaining a place at a preferred school will also an allocation letter posted second class to the child’s home address, and there is an appeals process.
Nationally, commentators have warned more children could lose out on their top choice of secondary school this year as pupil numbers continue to grow.
Up to 115,000 youngsters across England are expected to not be offered their first choice when places are announced on Friday, the Good Schools Guide warns.
Based on analysis of birth rates and the number of children leaving primary school, it estimates that 606,000 applied for places this year – an increase of 23,000 on 2018.
Last year the proportion of children missing out on a place at their top choice of secondary school rose for the fifth year in a row.
Only 82.1% of 11-year-olds in England received an offer from their desired school – meaning 17.9% missed out, compared with 16.5% the previous year.
The Department for Education said more than 825,000 school places had been created since 2010.
Bernadette John, director at The Good Schools Guide, said: “In recent years, some local authorities have struggled to find enough places at primary school level and now we have begun to see the impact on secondary schools.
“And, for the next few years, it will get worse.”
Geoff Barton, general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, told the Press Association: “There is intense pressure on secondary school places in some areas of the country for schools rated by Ofsted as ‘outstanding’ and ‘good’ and this results in parents missing out on their preferred choice.
“This situation will become more challenging because the number of pupils in secondary schools is rising and is expected to increase by 428,000 over the next seven years.
“It is vital that additional places are carefully planned at a regional level to match demographic need, and that everything possible is done to ensure every child can access a place in a good school, not least by improving the totally inadequate level of funding currently provided to schools by the government.”
New analysis from Teach First suggests children from the poorest backgrounds are more likely to be heading to a school rated by Ofsted as less than good, than in 2016.
The education charity found that 35% of children from the poorest postcodes currently attend a school rated as inadequate or requires improvement – an increase from 28% in 2016.
This amounts to an additional 30,000 children from poorer backgrounds.
School Standards Minister Nick Gibb said: “Today is a significant milestone for thousands of parents and children finding out which secondary school they will be attending from September.
“This Government is determined to create more choice for parents when it comes to their children’s education and we have created 825,000 school places since 2010, and are on track to see that number rise to a million by 2020.
“Standards have also risen, with 86% of schools now good or outstanding, compared to 68% in 2010, and last year more than nine out of 10 pupils got a place at one of their top three choices, setting them on the path for a successful future.”
- Demand for private school places surges by 30% as anxious middle-class parents abandon state education over fears their children have fallen behind in lockdown
- National Cousins Day 2019: Top 10 Reasons Why Growing Up With Cousins Is Incredible!
- Kids face ‘Ice Age’ in learning if schools fail to open by September, MP warns
- Lawrence schools to begin online classes after Labor Day
- Missouri schools wrestle with decision on returning to class
- 'Immigration Nation' offers a searing portrait of ICE policy, from inside and out
- National Diaspora Day: Ecobank offers zero fees on Rapidtransfer
- New Jersey to give parents option of 'all-remote learning' for school year
- How Will School Look In A Pandemic? Like A Hot Mess, Many Say.
- Prince George's Announces School Schedules, Plan For Fall Classes
- Tuscaloosa School Systems Give Insight On Return Plans
- Classes Will Be Online Until 2021, Prince George's Schools Say
- Elk Grove Unified Extends Summer Meals Program To Offer Nutritional Services For Students During Summer Break
- More free school meals 'would stop diet disaster'
- Evergreen Park Schools To Reopen In Person; Parents Have Option
- School Year Should Start Online: Anne Arundel Teachers Union
- For the sake of equity, reopen schools — digitally, with exceptions
- ICYMI: Top takeaways from this week's "Face the Nation": Lawmakers spar over coronavirus aid
- Haverford School District Weighing Reopening Options
- Transcript: Speaker Nancy Pelosi on "Face the Nation," July 26, 2020
Hartlepool families to learn children's school places as allocation decisions announced on National Offer Day have 793 words, post on www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk at March 1, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.