A man has been arrested in a 1973 murder of an 11-year-old in Newport Beach girl whose mysterious disappearance was featured by police in a Twitter campaign.
Orange County prosecutors and Newport Beach police declined to divulge details prior to a news conference Wednesday morning.
According to sources and news reports out of Colorado Springs, Colorado the suspect is accused of killing 11-year-old Linda Ann O’Keefe, who lived in Corona del Mar. She was last seen alive on her way home from summer school on July 6, 1973. Her body was recovered the following morning in the Back Bay area.
Newport Beach police in July mounted a Twitter campaign releasing information about the killing to try to spur new leads. Last year’s tweets detailed events of the last day Linda was seen in the seaside community.
Police got the idea from an agency in Canada, which took a similar approach with a cold case of its own. The Newport Beach Police Department’s tweets began at 7:45 a.m. on a Friday — the exact time Linda left for school 45 years earlier.
They tweets ended the next day, when her body was discovered. She usually biked to school, but got a ride from a teacher on that Friday. She was last seen outside Lincoln Intermediate School waiting for a ride home.
A frantic overnight search turned up few leads. Nature enthusiasts looking for frogs found her body.
Linda, still wearing a dress her mother made for her, had been strangled.
Copyright City News Service
- Authorities: Suspect arrested in case of long-missing teacher
- Major arrest in Wilson murder case: TN ISIS operatives wanted to wage violent Jihad
- Rs 175 crore case: ED makes second arrest in case related to the alleged duping of MMRDA
- Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson re-bailed by police following arrest in corruption probe
- History-sheeter held for rape, murder of toddler
- One strike and you're out: Police are told to fine Covid rule-breakers after just ONE verbal warning as three officers arrest a woman 'for sitting on a bench' and another is surrounded for 'leaving her house more than once'
- No more warnings: Police vow to issue fines 'much quicker' as football fan caught on road trip to see stadiums and couple who made 130-mile coastal visit to spot seals are among latest hit with penalties
- In record-breaking year for Baton Rouge murders, these lives were taken: stories of loss in 2020
- UP gangrape & murder: NCW meets victim's family, says not satisfied with police probe
- Fewer murders, thefts in 2020 compared to 2019, Chennai Police say
- ‘Jane Doe Murders’ forensic specialist Yolanda McClary talks biggest misnomers about crime scene investigating
- Similar pattern in murders help MP police nab killer in Bhopal
- Police release new footage of man who went missing 28 years ago in bid to find killers
- Four arrested for murder of man in Hadapsar
- Police who fined two women £200 for socially-distanced country walk are slammed by ex-chief constable who says 'if police don't act fairly, public won't comply'
- Greenwell Springs woman charged as accessory in June 1 double murder
- 4 brothers held for murder in Belapur
- The case that never died
- Police fear Bullseye killer who executed 4 people may have another secret victim
- Uttar Pradesh gangrape & murder: NCW team meets victim’s family, says not satisfied with police probe
Southern Calif. Police Make Arrest in Cold Case Murder From 1973 have 540 words, post on www.nbcmiami.com at February 20, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.