The number of conflicts between residents and Sumatran elephants doubled in Riau during the first half of this year compared to the same period last year, data from the Riau Resource Conservation Center (BBKSDA) shows.
“Data recorded between January and June this year shows that there has been a sharp increase compared to the same period last year,” BBKSDA Riau chief Suharyono said in Pekanbaru city, Riau, on Saturday, as quoted by Antara.
The center recorded 30 conflicts between wild elephants and residents in various parts of the province between January and June this year, a spike from the 16 cases recorded over the same period last year.
The number started high in January and February with four and five cases respectively, before it declined to one case in March. However, the figure jumped to four cases in April and six in May.
June marked the highest number of such conflicts with 10 cases; four conflicts in Kampar regency and Pekanbaru respectively and two in Bengkalis regency.
The BBKSDA is currently trying to resolve a conflict between 11 elephants and residents in Karya Indah village in Tapung subdistrict of Kampar. The elephants have been entering the residents’ plantations from their habitat in the Tesso Nilo landscape forest.
The center has assigned two trained elephants to drive the herd of wild elephants to their habitat. (ars)
- The human-elephant conflict in India's tea state Assam
- Malaysia elephant sanctuary trumpets effort to cut human-animal conflict
- Uncompleted electric fence project sees hungry elephants reaching out
- Sri Lanka probes deaths of wild elephants
- Experts divided on Vietnam elephant-watching tour
- Quảng Nam to protect elephants
- Dak Lak takes prompt action to save elephants
- Wild elephants spotted in Quang Nam
- Nhandan Newspaper - Elephant conservation comes into spotlight
- Rampaging elephants kill five villagers in India
- Vietnam seeks ways to protect elephants
- Dong Nai: Hungry wild elephants trash crops, property
- Hungry wild elephants trash crops, property - Society - Vietnam News Politics, Business, Economy, Society, Life, Sports
- Conference highlights elephant conservation
- Project to protect Việt Nam elephants kicks off
- Nhandan Newspaper - Project to protect Vietnam’s elephants kicks off
- Project to protect Vietnamâs elephants kicks off
- Bản in : Elephant conservation comes into spotlight
- Bản in : Project to protect Vietnam’s elephants kicks off
- Sumatran elephant 'poisoned' in Indonesia palm plantation
Riau sees human-elephant conflicts double in 2019 have 366 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at February 10, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.