The Gunners moved to within one point of the top four with a narrow victory away at Huddersfield on Saturday as goals from Alex Iwobi and Alxander Lacazette secured a 2-1 win.
Unai Emery’s side kept pace with Manchester United, who earlier on Saturday jumped to fourth with a comprehensive win over Fulham, though Chelsea will reclaim their spot with victory at Manchester City on Sunday.
Despite such fine margins, Souness is adamant the battle for fourth is a “straight fight” between Manchester United and Chelsea, ruling out Arsenal’s chances of outperforming both between now and May.
He wrote in the Sunday Times: “It’s a straight fight between Chelsea and Manchester United for fourth now, but Chelsea will be looking over their shoulders because United are dangerous and, right now, the momentum is there with them and they are on a roll.”
EPL table | As it stands
It highlights a remarkable turnaround under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for United, who were 11 points behind the Blues when Jose Mourinho was sacked just before christmas.
But Souness has warned the signing of Gonzalo Higuain could swing momentum once more in this season’s topsy-turvy race for a Champions League spot.
He added: “Chelsea will win more games with Higuain scoring goals for them,” Souness continued, “but we will have to wait and see if he can take them to fourth place.”
- Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo EXCLUSIVE, star lands in Manchester, Jadon Sancho injured on England duty
- Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo house EXCLUSIVE, star lands in Manchester, Utd to make Trippier swoop
- Man Utd’s current position on Saul Niguez transfer agreement with Atletico Madrid
- Every Premier League club's top 3 signings in history as Man Utd secure Cristiano Ronaldo
- Chelsea continue defender search, Kylian Mbappe to sign for Real Madrid or FREE, Erling Haaland UPDATES – latest news
- Mbappe to sign for Real Madrid for FREE, Chelsea continue defender search, Erling Haaland UPDATES – latest news
- Antonio Conte's representative speaks out on Arsenal 'verbal agreement'
- How Chelsea could line-up post January transfer window including Leroy Sane and Jules Kounde as Tuchel fights for title
- Tottenham chief Daniel Levy weighing up Chelsea transfer deal
- Arsene Wenger gives Mikel Arteta verdict and opens up on returning to Arsenal
- Premier League hits and misses: Mikel Arteta's Arsenal job in threat, could Ferran Torres solve striker woes?
- Premier League hits and misses: Harvey Elliott fits right in at Liverpool, Danny Ings shows worth for Aston Villa
- After Jack Grealish’s dodgy trousers with Ellie Brown – here’s other footballers’ WORST outfits
- Transfer Deadline Day: What every Premier League club must do before summer transfer window closes
- Tottenham 'to make second Emerson Royal transfer approach today' after Barca reject swap
- Harry Kane wins Robert Lewandowski battle but England taught late lesson in Poland draw
Man Utd and Chelsea in 'straight fight' for top four, Arsenal are out have 473 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at February 10, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.