- 15 Feb
- From the section FA Cup
Manchester City will “suffer” against Newport in Saturday’s FA Cup fifth-round tie, says boss Pep Guardiola.
The Premier League champions travel to south Wales knowing their opponents have already beaten Leicester and Middlesbrough in the competition.
League Two Newport have never been past the fifth round of the competition, while City are five-time winners.
“They are taller and stronger than us. In some areas they will be better than us,” warned Guardiola.
“They have done incredibly well in this competition. What they do, they do really well. We have watched many games to see what they do.”
City were knocked out of the FA Cup in the fifth round last season by Wigan Athletic, then of League One, and Guardiola said his team would learn from past experiences.
He added he would not allow his players to become complacent, despite Newport being 83 places below City in the football pyramid.
“It is the cup. We know what happened last season at Wigan,” Guardiola said. “Anything can happen. We will take this very seriously.
“Normally we play in the Premier League games and our players already know what opponents do.
“[Newport] have players who have scored 14 or 15 goals; they are incredible on the set pieces.”
City will be without the injured Vincent Kompany and Benjamin Mendy for the trip to Rodney Parade.
- Fancy a flavour of cup glory yourself? Don’t miss the chance to sign up for the 2019 FA People’s Cup – here’s a flavour…
Find out more about the FA People’s Cup and how to sign up here (but don’t delay – entries close at midnight on Monday, 18 February).
Find out more
- The key lesson Man City must heed to succeed with Pep Guardiola
- Man City's win over Bournemouth gives Pep Guardiola a weapon
- Man City are in danger of proving Pep Guardiola wrong this season
- Brahim Diaz: Manchester City will do 'absolutely everything' to keep Brahim Diaz, says Pep Guardiola
- Manchester City made to suffer in nervy win over Watford, says Pep Guardiola
- John Stones makes bold Man City Premier League claim
FA Cup: Man City will suffer against League Two Newport County, says Pep Guardiola have 418 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at February 15, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.