An armed police officer “unintentionally” shot a suspect while responding to a report that a woman was being held captive in a pub, Scotland Yard has said.
Metropolitan Police officers are being investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) after the shooting near Blackheath, south-east London, in the early hours of Saturday.
A woman called police shortly before 4am to report another woman was being held against her will by a group of armed men in The Anchor Pub in Lewisham Road, the force said.
Police said the man, believed to be in his 20s, was wounded when officers stopped a car that had driven from the pub to near Lewisham Road’s junction with Blackheath Hill, on the border of the borough of Greenwich.
“During the vehicle stop, a police firearm was unintentionally discharged,” a Scotland Yard statement said.
They arrested the wounded man, who remains in hospital with injuries not deemed to be life threatening.
Police were not able to say what he was detained on suspicion of.
Scotland Yard said one other man was arrested from the car, and five others were arrested in the Anchor.
No woman was found during a search of the pub.
Police earlier said five men were arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment and another was held for possession of an offensive weapon, but later removed the arrest reasons from their statement.
Scotland Yard appealed for information about the woman allegedly being held captive, and called in particular for the woman who reported the situation from a phone box in Morden Hill to come forward.
Detective Chief Inspector James Stanyer said: “It is vital that we hear again from the original caller in this case.
“Officers, including armed police, rightly deployed urgently to the area following her phone call, and this has resulted in a number of searches and seven people being arrested.”
The IOPC confirmed it had launched an investigation into the “non-fatal shooting”
Top news stories today
- 2 Arrested In Shooting, Attempted Robbery Of Photographer In San Francisco’s Mission District
- Drive-By Shooting; Standoff; Sexual Assault: SD County Police Log
- Florida Sheriff: If Cop-Shooter Breaks In, ‘Blow Him Out The Door Cause He’s Like A Rabid Animal’ | The Daily Wire
- Live: NSW Now: Business owners fear venues will cop wrath of unvaccinated
- Florida manhunt for 'cop killer' Marine enters 4th day with 200-strong search, schools locked down
- Florida sheriff tells residents to shoot and kill man who shot cop if he enters their home
- Death Penalty Sought For Man Accused In Family Massacre
- Police officer who struck man at least four times used excessive force
- HINKLEY IS CLEARED BUT IS HELD INSANE IN REAGAN ATTACK
- Utah Football Player Aaron Lowe, 21, Killed During House Party Shooting in Salt Lake City
- Khalid Masood: Everything we know about the London attacker
- They Say Crime Is Down in Chicago. Tell That to This Teen With a Bullet Hole in HIs Back.
- Fatal Petco Park Fall; CA To Nix 'Alien' Word | SoCal In Brief
- ‘Shuffle Along’ and the Lost History of Black Performance in America
- Chicago weekend violence leave 8 murdered, over 60 shot, including paramedic grazed, officer struck by bullets
- After Decades of War, Colombian Farmers Face a New Test: Peace
- America’s Courts Can’t Ignore the World
- Meghan Markle – Prince Harry & Duchess BLASTED for flying home to California in private jet after ‘woke NY tour’
- Bethwood Crime & Safety
- Florida prosecutors seek death penalty for former Marine accused of killing innocent family in 'rescue' op
Armed cop 'unintentionally' shoots man after reports of woman being held in pub have 568 words, post on www.dailyrecord.co.uk at February 9, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.