World Leprosy Day 2019: Ending discrimination, stigma and prejudice: World Leprosy Day is observed on the last Sunday of January. The theme of World Leprosy Day 2019 is ending discrimination, stigma and prejudice. WLD in India is celebrated on the 30th January each year to coincide with the death of Mahatma Ghandi, who passed away on that day in 1948. Gandhi worked tirelessly to help those affected with the disease.
According to International Federation of Anti-Leprosy Associations, The majority of people affected by leprosy are believed to experience some form of stigma and discrimination. Up to half of them will face mental health issues, such as depression or anxiety.
Leprosy Epidemiological situation report 2017 shows that, The prevalence was registered as 0.25 per 10 000 population with 192173 leprosy cases on treatment at the end of 2017. During 2017, 210671 new cases (2.8 per 100 000 population) were reported globally. Of them 12189 (6%) presented with visible deformities or grade-2 disabilities (G2D), including 238 children with G2D. 60% of the global new cases were multibacillary and 39% of the new patients were female. The 22 global priority countries accounted for 95% of the global burden. ‘leave no one behind‘ has been a key feature of all the discussions on the post-2015 agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
World Health OrganizationInternational Federation of Anti-Leprosy Associations
- When is World Book Day 2019? Costume ideas and how to use book tokens
- World Book Day 2019: Celebs share snaps of their children dressed up
- World Water Day 2019 - Humanity's relationship with water captured in photos
- World Book Day 2019: How to celebrate your love of literature
- Best fancy dress costume ideas for World Book Day 2019
- The best modern day poetry books for World Poetry Day 2019
- What is World Health Day 2019 about and what is the theme this year?
- Best quotes from beloved children’s books to celebrate World Book Day
- Could World Youth Day in Panama give the Pope a boost?
- World Turtle Day 2018: What is World Turtle Day?