The Vietnam Football Federation (VFF) is expected to start talks on a friendly match between the Vietnamese national team and Liverpool as part of the English Premier League side's summer tour this year.
Even though negotiations have yet to begin, it is likely that Liverpool will come to Vietnam and play with the national squad during The Reds' summer tour of 2019, VFF general secretary Le Hoai Anh confirmed to Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Thursday.
"As Liverpool will do their 2019 summer tour in Asia, VFF and its partners are contacting [the EPL club] to invite them to play in Vietnam," Anh said.
While VFF will lead the negotiations, all expenses to have Liverpool bring their players to Vietnam will be covered by businesses, according to the general secretary.
"We have yet to start any direct talks yet but we stand an excellent chance," Anh said.
"If Liverpool accept the invitation, they may come to Vietnam somewhere in the third week of May," Anh said, adding that the My Dinh National Stadium in Hanoi will be the venue for the game.
Rumors have already circulated that Vietnam has to pay some US$4.3 million to have The Reds play in Hanoi, but Anh said the figure is just "too enormous and inaccurate."
The VFF general secretary added top Vietnamese players including Quang Hai, Cong Phuong, Que Ngoc Hai and Duy Manh would be chosen for the Liverpool game.
Liverpool currently top the EPL standings with 57 points after 22 matches.
In 2013, local conglomerate Hoang Anh Gia Lai Group spent some VND50 billion ($2.15 million) inviting Arsenal to play a friendly game in Vietnam. Another EPL club, Manchester City, also played in the Southeast Asian country in 2015 at a cost of $2 million, covered by Vietnamese mogul Do Quang Hien.
- Hanoi designated to host 2021 Southeast Asian Games despite Ho Chi Minh City’s bid
- Vietnam draw 0 0 with Myanmar in AFF Cup’s Group A
- Vietnam, Russia foster defence cooperation
- Top 5 benefits of Private tours to Vietnam and Cambodia
- The spirit of Vietnam: Nem rán and nem cuốn
- Smart TV devices advertised to offer free World Cup games become popular in Vietnam
- Ascendant: How Quitting Professional Football Launched Mugs Stump’s Climbing Career
- Travel review: Game, set and match to La Manga Club sport resort
- Suffolk: Where should we go for a day out? We list the ultimate 50 things to do in Suffolk this summer
- Once secret, Harvard’s admissions process is unveiled in federal court
- Top federal ethics official calls EPA chief Scott Pruitt's conduct 'extremely concerning'
- Delta says farewell to the Boeing 747 at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport
- Foreign referees hired for last two V. League weeks
- Top 10: my best travel moments of 2017
- Croatian scandal, eclipsing Pele, and politics as usual: What to know about the World Cup final
- Love the outdoors and get close to nature
- 28 years of deep and dynamic journalism
- The Obama/O’Reilly Super Bowl Interview With No Questions Out Of Bounds
- Sprinter Jason Smyth: ‘Windsor Park snub was because I run for Ireland'
- School spirit: US colleges pave the road to track success
Vietnam football federation says will invite Liverpool for summer game in Hanoi have 523 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at January 17, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.