Of the beneficiaries, 98 percent are of minority ethnic groups in 45 villages in seven communes of the districts of Muong Khuong, Bao Thang, Bao Ha, Si Ma Cai, Sa Pa, Bat Xat, Van Ban and Bao Yen.
This was reported by Deputy Director of the provincial Department of Agriculture and Rural Development To Manh Tien during a conference reviewing the outcomes of the programme in Lao Cai on January 11.
Over the past five years, product value of Bao Yen forestry company in Bao Yen district has increased by 10-15 percent thanks to the UN-REDD’s support in Forest Stewardship Council certification.
Bao Ha persimmon output in Bao Yen district also rose by 10-15 percent each year thanks to technical support in orchard upgrade and food safety and hygiene certification.
Together with Bac Can, Ha Tinh, Binh Thuan, Lam Dong and Ca Mau, Lao Cai has created jobs and raised income of hundreds of local households, as well as reduced the risk of forest loss and degradation via the pilot programme.
Firms were connected together in providing technical instruction on growing and marketing medicinal herbs for local residents, thus helping meet the goal of biodiversity preservation via livelihood development.
Nearly 200ha of forests were grown along the Lao Cai – Hanoi highway in Bao Yen and Van Ban districts.
Many households in Bao Yen district’s Bao Ha, Cam Con and Kim Son communes, and Van Ban district’s Tan An and Tan Thuong communes were encouraged to plant 1,800ha of forest.
Besides, another 360ha of protective forests were planted in Bac Ha, Si Ma Cai, Bao Thang and Sa Pa districts.
Funded by the UN Environment Programme, the UN Development Programme and the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation, the programme also contributed to the forestry restructuring scheme and the annual forest development plan of the locality.-VNA
- Lao Cai, a top destination for mountaineers
- Save the Children supports children with special needs in Lao Cai province
- Lao Cai Cultural Tourism Week to be held in June
- Lao Cai student offered scholarships at American universities
- Lao Cai border guards maintain sound partnership with Chinese peers
- Lao Cai province, Vietnam News Agency sign media cooperation agreement
- Lao Cai, Chinese locality bolster tourism cooperation
- Lao Cai aims to welcome 5 million tourists in 2019
- Lao Cai IPs in great need of infrastructure investors