By Henning Gloystein
SINGAPORE (Reuters) – U.S. oil began 2019 in positive territory on Wednesday, although the general outlook for the year is weak amid soaring U.S. crude supply and concerns of an economic slowdown.gi
West Texas Intermediate (WTI) spot crude oil futures <CLc1> were trading at $45.86 per barrel at 0024 GMT, up 45 cents, or 1 percent, from their final close in 2018.
International Brent crude futures <LCOc1> had yet to trade.
Oil prices ended 2018 with losses for the first time since 2015, after a desultory fourth quarter that saw buyers flee the market over growing worries about a supply glut and mixed signals related to renewed U.S. sanctions on Iran.
“Oil prices … registered their first yearly decline in three years on fears of a slowing global economy and concerns of an ongoing supply glut,” said Adeel Minhas, a consultant at Australia’s Rivkin Securities.
For the year, U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude (WTI) futures slumped nearly 25 percent, while Brent tumbled nearly 20 percent.
The outlook for 2019 is riddled with uncertainty, analysts said, including U.S.-China trade concerns and Brexit, as well as political instability and conflict in the Middle East.
A Reuters poll showed oil prices are expected to trade below $70 per barrel in 2019 as surplus production, much of it from the United States, and slowing economic growth undermine efforts led by the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) to cut supply and prop up prices.
(Reporting by Henning Gloystein; editing by Richard Pullin)
- Oil prices rise over $1 as US ramps up economic support measures
- Oil prices rise on stimulus package, fuel demand sinks
- Palm oil prices rise for third day on supply concerns as Malaysia extends lockdown
- Global Oil Prices Extend Gains, WTI Crude Trades Up More Than 24 Percent
- Dwindling oil prices a double-edged sword for Việt Nam's economy
- Dwindling oil prices a double-edged sword for Viet Nam's economy
- Crude oil prices slump amid coronavirus chaos
- Low crude oil prices cast a shadow on India’s oil and gas E&P prospects
- Oil prices to range between $35-40 in 2020, may cut India’s oil import bill 8 per cent
- Crude oil prices jump over $1 as sharp falls draw bargain buyers
- Oil prices jump over $1 as sharp falls draw bargain buyers
- Saudi Arabia to slash spending by 5 per cent as oil prices fall
- Like Chernobyl: Norwegian Analyst Predicts Oil Prices Down to $10 Per Barrel
- Petrovietnam slashes revenue projection as oil prices plummet
- Gulf bourses tumble as oil prices extend losses
- Oil prices jump $1 as recent sharp falls draw investors
- Coronavirus outbreak: Oil prices jumped $1 as recent sharp falls draw investors
- Saudi Acting Finance Ministry Says Gov't Will Take Measures to Deal With Drop in Oil Prices - Report
- Oil price hovers at $53 per barrel, as instability persists
- Oil Prices Fall 8-10% at Opening After Weekend
U.S. oil prices rise by 1 percent amid expectations of volatile 2019 have 451 words, post on www.euronews.com at January 1, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.