Instead of responding directly to her request that the event be delayed because of security funding concerns, Trump wrote in an apparent retaliation that he had canceled her upcoming delegation trip to Brussels, Egypt and Afghanistan (though Pelosi’s team later said there was no scheduled stop in Egypt).
“Obviously if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative,” the president wrote. The suggestion comes despite the fact that the Air Force budget has not been affected by the 27-day shutdown.
CBS and Fox News both reported that Trump’s letter canceling her trip was issued about an hour before Pelosi was set to depart.
As noted by Politico’s Capitol Hill bureau chief, John Bresnahan, Trump’s public letter exposed a trip that had been a “closely held secret due to security concerns” for Pelosi.
In a response to Trump, Pelosi’s deputy chief of staff, Drew Hammill, debased the president’s claim that the trip was a mere “public relations event.”
“In Brussels, the delegation was scheduled to meet with top NATO commanders, U.S. military leaders and key allies–to affirm the United States’ ironclad commitment to the NATO alliance,” he tweeted. In Afghanistan, he added, she intended to “obtain critical national security & intelligence briefings from those on the front lines” and thank them for their service.
The speaker, who by tradition invites the president to give the annual address to a joint session of Congress, had asked Trump in a letter Wednesday to reschedule the planned Jan. 29 appearance unless the shutdown ends.
She cited security concerns caused by the shutdown, which has forced the U.S. Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security to furlough some workers and require others to work without pay.
Today, I wrote to @realDonaldTrump recommending that we delay the State of the Union until after government re-opens, as the @SecretService, the lead federal agency for #SOTU security, faces its 26th day without funding. https://t.co/K2oL8WGvqopic.twitter.com/g3fIlxDbbK
— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) January 16, 2019
DHS considers the State of the Union to be a “national special security event” requiring “some of the most complex and logistically complicated protective operations undertaken by the Secret Service, often requiring anywhere from 3 to 18 months of planning.”
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) joined in on the kerfuffle Thursday, too. Though he said in a statement that Pelosi’s request was “very irresponsible and blatantly political,” he condemned Trump canceling her trip as “also inappropriate.”
This story has been updated with more context and comments from Hammill and Graham.
- This article originally appeared on HuffPost.
More from HuffPost US: Chris Christie tears into Donald Trump’s White House: ‘Amateurs, grifters, weaklings’ Don Lemon: Trump’s racism ‘personal and even deadly to people like me’ James Comey tells GOP to end ‘witness intimidation’: ‘Have you no sense of decency?’
- Tiffany Trump wears suffragette white at SOTU like Nancy Pelosi and Democrats, not black like Ivanka and Melania
- Trump cancels US delegation’s visit to Davos amid shutdown
- Anger as top US Republican jokes about hitting Nancy Pelosi - Times of India
- COP26: Nancy Pelosi flaunts US return to climate leadership after 'unfortunate' Trump years
- Trump-era battles continue amid "state by state assault on civil rights": ACLU President
- Exclusive — ‘She’s F’ing Crazy’: Trump Slams Pelosi in Photo Book
- Pelosi calls for ethics, criminal investigations into Gosar
- As White House Calls Pelosi’s Speech-Ripping a ‘Tantrum,’ She Feels ‘Liberated’
- A MAGA squad of Trump loyalists in the House sees its influence grow amid demands for political purity
- Trump slams Pelosi as a ‘known nut job’ over claims speaker ‘feared he’d launch a nuclear weapon in his final days’
- A divisive speech for a divided union
- Progressives declare victory in spending bill fight
- Birthright citizenship vow shows Trump doubling down on immigration gambit
- Press: Trump wastes 35 days for nothing
- Trump mocks 'Old Crow Mitch' McConnell over Biden's infrastructure win
- Kathy Griffin compares consequences for headless Trump photo to Paul Gosar's violent video
- House passes roughly $2 trillion spending package that would expand social benefits and fight climate change
- James Clyburn Compares Trump to Hitler, Could Make America 'Germany in the 1930s'
- Pelosi on Gosar punishment: 'It's an emergency'
- Biden Cancels Weekend Trip Home to Delaware as He Fights for Votes
Trump cancels Nancy Pelosi's trip overseas amid State of the Union fight have 1553 words, post on www.aol.com at January 16, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.