OLE GUNNAR SOLSKJAER has turned the clock back at Manchester United to do it the ‘Fergie way’, but it is his assistant that’s got the side attacking with some ooomph.
Mike Phelan has helped transform United’s fortunes by introducing drills that put the attack through their paces for extended periods to ensure they continue to press for the duration of the game.
Solskjaer has had an incredible start to his United reign, having won all five games with his team managing 16 goals.
But he has Phelan to thank for overhauling United’s attack thanks to his intense training drills.
According to the Metro, the 56-year-old has been upping the ante when it comes to their attacking sessions, putting the players through 45 minute drills.
Phelan is thought to have carried out attack vs defence drills that really put the focus on United’s attack playing in a more exciting and pressing style- which seems a far cry from Jose Mourinho’s ‘park the bus’ style.
Solskjaer has drawn upon his personal experience with the club’s legendary manager and has implemented many of his tactics which has transformed the dressing room.
He has gone to great lengths to replicate some of Ferguson’s successful techniques, so much so that there have been occasions where he has left Phelan to his own devices with training and has even entrusted him to take team talks.
Phelan boasts plenty of success and was Fergie’s assistant from 2008 to 2013, but he was dumped when David Moyes took the reign.
Solskjaer, however, didn’t underestimate Phelan’s impact and brought him straight back into the fold when he was offered the job.
The caretaker manager’s first real test comes today as they travel to Wembley to face Tottenham.
If the Red Devils bag a win, Solskjaer will create history in being the first United manager to have six successive victories at the start of his reign.
A win would see Untied draw level with Arsenal and put them within touching distance of a Champions League spot.
- Charlie Nicholas' Premier League predictions: Tottenham vs Man Utd, Everton vs Liverpool
- Charlie's European predictions: Liverpool vs Atletico, LASK vs Man Utd
- Charlie's European predictions: Man Utd, Rangers, Wolves in action
- Pence says Americans returning from coronavirus 'epicenter' Europe will be 'funneled' through THIRTEEN airports before 14-day self-quarantine - but doesn't give specifics as experts warn Trump's travel ban won't stop virus spread
- Dozy Arsenal must up the intensity to win race for Europe after VAR helped Arteta’s men squeeze past bold West Ham
- Seattle university gunman stopped by student 'heroes' after man shot dead
- 'No one has told me to self-isolate...I just want to get back to work': Uber driver is among hundreds returning to Britain from locked-down Italy who say there are NO coronavirus checks or advice at UK airports
- Alexis Sanchez uses coronavirus quarantine to train shirtless with his two beloved dogs at home after injury
- Busting myths, spreading awareness: How Kerala police is using the digital platform against Covid-19
- Revealed: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will not be in Queen's Commonwealth Service procession... as last-minute change means Prince William and Kate Middleton will be led to their seats too
- Denzel Washington on the club that made him the man he is today
- FIFTH person in the UK dies from coronavirus: Man in his 70s is latest victim of the disease as the number of cases jumps to 321 after health officials confirm 48 more have caught deadly infection
- WWE Raw results, recap, grades: Edge seeks retribution, AJ Styles challenges The Undertaker
- Denver DJ accused of 'groping' Taylor Swift testifies saying he only touched her rib cage and is attacked for giving SEVEN conflicting accounts of the incident and destroying evidence as her mom sits crying beside her
- Inside Mexican drug cartels’ vile ‘kitchens’ where victims’ bodies are dissolved Breaking Bad-style with chemicals
- The man behind the mustache
- Tyson Fury returns to training for Deontay Wilder trilogy fight just two-weeks after heroic Vegas win
- Killers who shot man in face before going for chicken and chips jailed for life
- Christchurch mosque attacks: NZ has 'fundamentally changed' says PM
- Trump, GOP allies move quickly to discredit, attack Biden
Mike Phelan using intense 45-minute drills to return Man Utd to attacking style have 700 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 13, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.