Former CIA Director John Brennan has blasted President Donald Trump’s criticism of his own intelligence community, claiming it has allowed foreign leaders like North Korea’s Kim Jong Un to play him “like a fiddle.”
The assessment from Brennan, who has been a fierce critic of the president, came on a day in which the president launched an extraordinary attack on United States intelligence chiefs. In one tweet, Trump said members of the intelligence community needed to “go back to school.” The criticism on Twitter followed Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats appearing before Congress on Tuesday and contradicting the president’s assessment of the threats posed by North Korea, Iran and the Islamic State militant group (ISIS).
Responding to the attack, Brennan said the president’s actions posed a danger to the U.S.
“Your refusal to accept the unanimous assessment of U.S. Intelligence on Iran, No. Korea, ISIS, Russia, & so much more shows the extent of your intellectual bankruptcy,” Brennan wrote on Twitter. “All Americans, especially members of Congress, need to understand the danger you pose to our national security.”
Your refusal to accept the unanimous assessment of U.S. Intelligence on Iran, No. Korea, ISIS, Russia, & so much more shows the extent of your intellectual bankruptcy. All Americans, especially members of Congress, need to understand the danger you pose to our national security. https://t.co/9iV3BTKiEv
— John O. Brennan (@JohnBrennan) January 30, 2019
Brennan later appeared on MSNBC’s Hardball and was asked for specific ways that Trump’s ignoring of intelligence concerned him.
“I don’t think he understands the complexities of the problems associated with North Korea’s nuclear program,” he told host Chris Matthews. “We have not gotten anything from the North Koreans.
“Kim Jong Un has demonstrated just how easy it is to play Donald Trump like a fiddle, which is what he has done, and there’s going to be another summit, and I think he has been duped by Kim Jong Un,” Brennan added.
North Korea has not conducted any missile tests since Trump became the first sitting U.S. president to sit down with a North Korean leader last June. However, experts have noted that Trump emerged from the historic summit with no firm commitment for North Korean denuclearization. Trump and Kim are set to sit down for a second summit next month.
Brennan also accused Trump of “provoking the Iranians” by withdrawing the U.S. from a nuclear agreement signed by former President Barack Obama and criticized his “reckless” announcement of a withdrawal of U.S. troops from Syria.
Wednesday was not the first time Trump has contradicted his own intelligence agencies, but this time he sought to belittle them.
“The Intelligence people seem to be extremely passive and naive when it comes to the dangers of Iran. They are wrong!” he tweeted. “When I became President Iran was making trouble all over the Middle East, and beyond. Since ending the terrible Iran Nuclear Deal, they are MUCH different, but a source of potential danger and conflict. They are testing Rockets (last week) and more, and are coming very close to the edge. There economy is now crashing, which is the only thing holding them back. Be careful of Iran. Perhaps Intelligence should go back to school!”
Trump, Brennan said, “should be ashamed of himself” over the comments, “but I know he knows no shame.”
Former CIA director John Brennan (2nd L) and former director of National Intelligence James Clapper (R) arrive at a closed hearing before the Senate (Select) Intelligence Committee May 16, 2018, on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. Alex Wong/Getty Images
- 'Do I look like a radical socialist with a soft spot for rioters? Really?' Joe Biden says 'rioting is not protesting' as he Donald Trump for linking him to violence and accuses president of 'poisoning our very democracy' in Pittsburgh speech
- Donald Trump says he believes former chief of staff John Kelly is behind claims he called dead troops 'losers' and 'suckers' as he attacks the gold star father for getting 'eaten alive' and being 'unable to function' in his White House
- Donald Trump latest news – Pres calls for ‘patriotic education’ in US schools as Hillary Clinton blasts him a ‘cheat’
- 23 things we learned about Donald Trump during the RNC’s final night
- 00.00 Donald Trump news LIVE – President to visit Kenosha Tuesday and one dead as protesters clash in Portland – updates
- No signs Trump has a plan as experts say the pandemic enters new phase
- Donald Trump tweets claim that intelligence that Russia paid to kill U.S. troops is 'wishful thinking' as families of three Marines burned alive in attack which led to 'plot' being exposed demand 'justice'
- Donald Trump pardons a black bank robber and swears in new Americans as Republicans try to paint upbeat message about his presidency and economy at convention - while blasting Joe Biden and Democrats as dangerous radicals
- Donald Trump will call Joe Biden 'extreme' and claim he is 'undoing 47 years of Biden's damage' while hammering Democratic rival in RNC speech to crowd of 1,500 at the White House
- Sanders Says Trump Joked About Her 'Taking One for the Team' With Kim Jong Un
- What Donald Trump did on day his intel brief 'warned about Russian bounties for US troops': President met Diamond and Silk, huddled with Dean Cain about 'FBI Lovebirds' play, and said coronavirus is 'going to disappear'
- North and South Korean armies gather at the border as top officials meet in desperate bid to avoid going to war after Kim Jong-un ordered an end to critical 'propaganda'
- Donald Trump ordered 'tanks and choppers, make it look like North Korea' for his inauguration with helicopter takeoff from Trump Tower, while Ivanka wanted ball with Leonardo DiCaprio, new book claims
- Kim Jong-un’s secretive older brother Kim Jong-chul who had 'warm heart of a girl'
- Kim Jong-un is seen for the first time in a month after Japan reignited the debate over his health
- Inside the ‘Cold War’ between Donald Trump’s wife Melania and daughter Ivanka
- White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany claims 'NO-ONE' loves troops more than Donald Trump and says the fact he met dog involved in the al-Baghdadi raid and WWII veterans during a lightning storm proves it
- Lara Trump paints her in-laws as 'warm and loving' and praises Donald Trump for hiring women - then accuses Democrats of 'ceding control of our cities to violent mobs' and says her father-in-law is 'law and order' president
- Read Donald Trump’s full RNC acceptance speech ripping Biden, Democrats and calling for four more years in office
- Donald Trump demands Fox reporter Jennifer Griffin is fired after she confirmed he called US servicemen 'suckers' - as Melania backs him up and says 'This is not journalism, this is activism'
Kim Jong Un Has Played Donald Trump ‘Like a Fiddle,’ Ex-CIA Chief Says As He Blasts President’s Intel Community Criticism have 1128 words, post on www.newsweek.com at January 30, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.