While most people are busy getting ready for work, another crowd is partying.
It’s called Daybreaker, and hundreds of New Yorkers are getting in on the excitement.
As CBSN New York’s John Dias reports, the dance party may be two floors below ground, but it’s uplifting.
“It’s fun to see that you can do it the other way around,” partygoer Arnaud Luicks said.
“Everyone is just high off each other’s energy,” said Rebecca Kercer.
“It’s a great chance to dance, and you don’t have to have the pressure of going clubbing,” Dana Humphrey said.
Two days a month, the Daybreakers get an exclusive invite to different venues, where they break up their morning routine.
Chloe Rudensky, a preschool teacher, has joined eight times.
“It’s a community where you can go alone and feel accepted, and it’s really amazing,” she said.
Instead of bouncers at the door, there’s a greeting committee with hugs for everyone. There’s no alcohol here – instead, the bartenders hand out drinks like coconut water or green juice and bananas – and drugs are strictly prohibited.
Organizers say dancing sober in the morning releases your brain’s so-called natural “happy chemicals.” They call it the Daybreaker D.O.S.E, or dopamine, oxytocin, serotonin and endorphins.
“We’ve replaced all the negative aspects of nightlife and brought it into the light, into the positive,” said CEO Radha Agrawal.
Agrawal is also the author of “Belong,” a guidebook to finding real friends and building a community, like the one she made at Daybreaker.
“We are starved for connection, even with social media,” she said. “So creating an environment and a space for people to come and just dance and let go and be free and self-express and connect is such an important mission statement for us.”
The two-hour dance party starts at 7 a.m. and costs $20 to get in. You can also pay extra for an hour-long yoga session before the dancing begins.
People of all ages are welcome. Berenice Magellanes, a mother from Astoria, said it’s been life changing and she never feels judged.
“I am actually proud to tell you I am 42 and I am coming to day clubbing. My friends say, ‘my daughter doesn’t even come to day clubbing,’” she said. “Just come in, enjoy yourself and you’re going to be free – free of age, free of energy, free of everything.”
Daybreaker started in New York City but has since expanded to 25 cities around the world, including places like Amsterdam, Paris, Stockholm and Buenos Aires, plus Miami, Chicago, Seattle and Los Angeles.
For more information, click here.
- Dancing On Ice Ofcom complaints continue to rise after Holly Willoughby's 'inappropriate' dress and Rufus Hound's criticism of the Government's free school meals
- 13th National Party Congress:Stepping up renewal process, rapid and sustainable
- Cardi B fires back at accusations that she plagiarized her new single Up with months-old video of herself rapping its hook
- COVID party, Miami-style! Post Malone, Scott Disick, Tyga and Jake Paul enjoy maskless bash for 150 A-listers at Florida mansion of ex-RHOM star Lisa Hochstein that leaves locals 'appalled'
- Real Housewives Of Miami star Lisa Hochstein racks up over $3000 in fines for wild house party attended by Post Malone, Scott Disick and Lil Pump
- Jared Kushner’s Rise to Unimaginable Power
- 'It's extraordinary. It's an adrenaline rush roller coaster': Inside the Super Bowl halftime show
- 'Coronavirus is a gift that keeps on giving': Labour shadow attorney general is caught on tape saying pandemic is GOOD for rich City lawyers - leaving Keir Starmer facing furious backlash
- Have an unhappy Christmas: Government scientists advise no singing, dancing or BOARD GAMES (and isolate for two weeks before and after five-day 'bubble break')
- International Insider: Festivals Dance To Covid’s Beat; Sky Originals Unpicked; Broke And Bones Scoop; Damning Diversity Data
- What pandemic? Chloe Sims and Frankie Essex party up a storm in Tulum (and Demi Sims' girlfriend has her DOG flown over to Mexican resort!) as stars continue to flaunt their 'essential work' trips while millions of Brits languish in never-ending lockdown
- Inside Rita Ora's quarantine hotel! Singer will spend two weeks isolating in lavish five star accommodation where penthouse suite costs $500-per-night after landing in Australia for The Voice
- Digit Murphy’s star only keeps shining brighter in the NWHL
- Despite accusations of genocide, Aung San Suu Kyi's party is on track to win another term in Myanmar
- Midseason/Winter Premiere Dates For New & Returning Series On Broadcast, Cable & Streaming
- Brooke Burke EXCLUSIVE: The Dancing With The Stars vet, 49, reveals her top FIVE secrets for looking as good as she did when she was in her 20s
- I Wannabe like mum! David Beckham takes daughter Harper, 9, to a dance studio to learn some pop star moves as they sport matching green footwear
- 'What a totally inappropriate outfit!' Holly Willoughby, 39, shocks Dancing On Ice viewers in a £6,240 nude plunging gown to host launch show
- Strictly Come Dancing 2020 'could be CANCELLED if Britain goes into second national lockdown'... after HRVY tested positive for COVID-19
- Inside the Reddit army that's crushing Wall Street
Daybreaker: Inside The Dance Party Giving New Meaning To ‘Rise & Shine’ have 861 words, post on newyork.cbslocal.com at January 2, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.