A US judge on Monday ordered North Korea to pay $501 million over the death of American Otto Warmbier, ruling that the university student likely suffered torture. The parents of Warmbier sued North Korea in a US court after the 22-year-old was flown back to the United States last year in a coma, unrecognizable to his family and dying within days of his return. Beryl Howell, the chief judge of the US District Court for the District of Columbia, awarded $501,134,683.80 to the family, most of it in punitive damages. “An American family, the Warmbiers, experienced North Korea’s brutality first-hand when North Korea seized their son to use as a pawn in that totalitarian state’s global shenanigans and face-off with the United States,” she wrote. “North Korea is liable for the torture, hostage-taking, and extrajudicial killing of Otto Warmbier, and the injuries to his mother and father, Fred and Cindy Warmbier,” she wrote. She said that North Korea did not submit any response to the lawsuit, which the family filed under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, which allows US-based plaintiffs to sue governments for offenses not considered to be covered by diplomatic immunity. North Korea is highly unlikely to pay… Read full this story
- CBS Scores A Legal Victory As Court Rules ‘Judge Judy’s $47M Is Justified – Update
- Who Trump Is Really Talking to When He Talks to North Korea
- Judge Judy Says She’ll Eat Contract “On National TV” If It Can Be Produced In New Suit Over CBS’ $95M Purchase Of Syndicated Series’ Library – Update
- Meghan Markle’s friends can stay anonymous in privacy case, says UK judge
- The Grateful Dead’s Greatest Year
- U.S. CEO-workers pay gap narrowed, then COVID-19 hit: union report
- American Ninja Warrior winner Drew Drechsel, 31, is arrested on child sex charges over 'two year sexual relationship he had with 15-year-old girl behind his girlfriend's back'
- Iowa governor signs executive order restoring some ex-felons' voting rights
- Judge in polygamous child labor case orders $200k payment
- Electric vehicle charge network ChargePoint bags $127 mln from investors
US judge orders N.Korea to pay $501 mln over dead American have 353 words, post on en.rfi.fr at December 24, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.