British Prime Minister Theresa May sought on Thursday (Dec 6) to woo MPs with a promise of more power over the next stage of Brexit as she fought to save her EU withdrawal deal ahead of a crucial parliamentary vote next week. Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May leaves 10 Downing Street in London on Dec 5, 2018 to attend Prime Minister’s questions in Parliament. (Ben STANSALL/AFP) May said lawmakers could have a greater say over an arrangement to avoid border checks with Ireland that could see Britain tied to EU rules for years after it leaves the bloc in March. The so-called backstop is the key reason many of her own Conservative MPs and her Northern Irish allies opposed the divorce deal, putting her on course for defeat in Tuesday’s vote. “People are concerned about the role of the UK in making these decisions. And the obvious, in terms of the UK, is for it to be parliament that makes these decisions,” May told BBC radio. Ministers admit the deal struck with Brussels last month is not perfect but say it is the only option for an orderly Brexit after four decades of membership. Civil servants on Thursday briefed senior… Read full this story
- May heads to Netherlands, Germany in bid to save Brexit deal
- UK's May heads to Europe in bid to save Brexit deal
- Theresa May heads to Europe in bid to save Brexit deal under fire
- Picardo says Gib ‘ready for any eventuality’ as May vows to battle on with Brexit deal
- Theresa May’s dog's dinner of a Brexit deal looks almost certain to fall
- Embattled ministers fight for Brexit deal
- Brexit deal critics urge PM to renegotiate
- Brexit deal is 'huge step into unknown'
- Juncker warns May: 'No room' to renegotiate Brexit deal
- Brexit deal latest – Theresa May set to confront EU leaders as they call for Brexit transition to be delayed for a YEAR
UK"s May offers more say for MPs to save Brexit deal have 331 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at December 6, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.