Prime Minister Theresa May will on Monday warn MPs against supporting a second referendum, saying it would do “irreparable damage” to British politics. “Let us not break faith with the British people by trying to stage another referendum,” she is expected to tell parliament, according to extracts from her speech released by Downing Street. “Anther vote… would do irreparable damage to the integrity of our politics,” she will say, adding that a second vote “would likely leave us no further forward”. She will warn that another referendum would also “further divide our country at the very moment we should be working to unite it”. Britain voted to leave the European Union in a referendum in 2016 and is set to leave on March 29 next year, although May is struggling to get parliament to accept a divorce agreement she struck last month. May has faced calls for a second referendum to resolve the impasse but has argued that this would betray the 2016 result and undermine public confidence in politics. Campaigners for a referendum said May’s comments on Monday showed that the idea is being taken seriously. “A new public vote would be different from the referendum in 2016 because… Read full this story
- Tim Farron dismisses PM's new year Brexit pledge as 'empty words'
- Panic or New Reality as Study Finds That Britons Flock to EU After Brexit Vote
- How the Brexit vote added hundreds to the cost of a trip to New York: Weak pound hits holidays as families stay at home rather than fork out to go abroad
- Residents in yet another UK city warned 'act now to prevent a local lockdown'
- Yellowhammer worst bits if UK plunges into no-deal Brexit - from riots to shortages
- Brexit vote pushes up price of bacon as China hoovers up British pork
- Diane Abbott’s support for Jeremy Corbyn in doubt over Brexit vote
- Number of UK citizens emigrating to EU has risen by 30% since Brexit vote
- UK PM Boris Johnson and Carrie Symonds Plan to Go Camping in Scotland Due to Pandemic – Reports
- UK PM honours Indian-origin dancer for online Bhangra classes during lockdown
UK PM to warn against 'damage' of second Brexit vote have 363 words, post on en.rfi.fr at December 16, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.