UK PM survives confidence vote over Brexit deal LONDON, United Kingdom — British Prime Minister Theresa May on Wednesday survived a confidence vote by her own MPs but lost the support of one third of her colleagues, signalling the battle she still faces to get her Brexit deal through parliament. May won the backing of 200 Conservative lawmakers, but 117 voted to oust her — and only after she conceded she would step down before the 2022 election. “I’m pleased to have received the backing of my colleagues in tonight’s ballot,” she said outside her Downing Street office after the result was announced. “A significant number of colleagues did cast votes against me and I’ve listened to what they’ve said.” She said she wanted to “get on with the job of delivering Brexit”, and to see “politicians on all sides coming together”. The result, announced after a secret ballot, was met with huge cheers from May’s supporters gathered in parliament, while the pound rose on the news. But leading Brexit rebel Jacob Rees-Mogg, one of at least 48 Tory MPs who triggered the vote by writing a letter of no confidence in May, said it was a “terrible result”. “She ought to go… Read full this story
- UK PM Theresa May condemns soccer ban on remembrance poppy
- General election 2019: PM's colourful words no guarantee of election success
- What a 'No-Deal' Brexit Actually Means
- How Brexit is playing into Erdoğan’s hands in Turkey
- Farage Targets Leave-voting Labour Heartlands, Makes Final Offer to Boris Johnson for Election Pact
- Sean Payton: Drew Brees deal is 'going to get done'
- Boris Johnson's bid for snap election is CRUSHED: Corbyn chickens out of letting public go to the polls as MPs inflict humiliating defeat on PM hours after passing law to stop No Deal
- Boris Johnson rules out a Leave Alliance with Nigel Farage as the PM puts the Tories on an election collision course with the Brexit Party, telling voters: 'The only way to get this thing done is to vote for us'
- Are the Brexit party's election targets realistic?
- Staff bid to hit Roland Rudd 'in the wallet' in People's Vote dispute
UK PM survives confidence vote over Brexit deal have 372 words, post on www.philstar.com at December 12, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.