On December 19, tourism officials in Thailand organised a welcome ceremony for the country’s 10 millionth Chinese visitor at the Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok.
Thai Minister of Tourism and Sports Weerasak Kowsurat said the welcoming of the milestone traveller marked the first time Thailand has ever reached such a high tourism figure, exemplifying the national tourism industry’s ongoing efforts to strengthen global awareness of Thailand as a top destination.
Thailand will improve the country’s safety and security standards, and improve facilities and access to emerging secondary provinces to make the country a more preferred destination for Chinese tourists, he said.
Chinese visitors remain the biggest contributor to the country’s rich tourism industry, with more than 520 billion THB (103 billion USD) generated from more than 9.8 million tourists in 2017. –VNA
- Chinese tourists give Phuket a miss after boat tragedy, even as Thai authorities tighten safety measures
- Thailand forecast to welcome 37.5 million foreign tourists in 2018
- Thailand targets 10 percent growth in tourism in 2020
- Competition to attract Chinese tourists intensifies
- Vietnam welcomes 10.4 million foreign visitors in Jan-Aug
- Thailand eyes more Indian tourists to bolster growth
- Vietnam unable to cash in on high tourist numbers
- Foreign visitors to Vietnam surge 30 pct in first two months of 2018
- Government News 19/1