By Dayo JohnsonKURE—THE Federal Government, yesterday, lamented that the country ranked second amongst all nations in the world still practising open defecation.
The Minister of Water Resources, Suleiman Adamu said this at the commissioning of Kamomi Aketi accelerated water scheme at Ayede Ogbese community in Akure, Ondo State.
Adamu said: “The country today still has significant challenges of access to adequate Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene, WASH.
“Recent statistics from WASH-NORM, National Outcome Routine Mapping, Survey indicate that about 67.9 % of our population have access to improved water supply from all sources while 41.5 % have access to basic sanitation facilities.
“The consequences of lack of access to adequate water supply and sanitation are huge in terms of economic losses, high prevalence of water related diseases, reduced school enrolment and attendance, loss of dignity, more risks of insecurity and violence against women and children.
“Governments at all levels need to work extra hard to put a stop to all these avoidable consequence in our dear country.”
Earlier, Governor Rotimi Akeredolu said the scheme was part of the state government’s efforts to meet the Sustainable Development Goal, SDG, by 2030.
Akeredolu said: “As part of our avowed commitment to improving the wellbeing of our people, our administration embarked upon a two-prong approach to revitalize Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in Ondo State with special focus on rural and urban water supply utilizing slightly different strategies.
“We, therefore, came up with Kamomi Concept which has brought on board the ongoing rehabilitation of all non-functional boreholes.”
- World population in 2100 could be 2 billion below UN forecasts, study suggests
- ‘Jurassic World’ Beats ‘Avengers’ As The Fastest Pic To Cross $400M – Update With Top 20
- Second French jihadi may have been involved in Peter Kassig murder video
- ‘The Second Wave’ of COVID Hits Israel Like a Tsunami
- Coronavirus: Kawhi Leonard's arrival at Disney World delayed – reports
- Intelligence services identify second French jihadi in Islamic State video
- Nigeria: The Problem of Memory
- World population will start SHRINKING in 44 years: Major study claims humanity will peak at 9.7billion people in 2064 before dropping to 8.8bn by 2100 because of declining birth rates — and the UK will top out at 75million in 2063
- Christian persecution: UK lawmakers launch report on Nigeria, dedicates it to Leah Sharibu
- Women from Kenya and Nigeria in running for WTO's top job
- Indonesia, viable option for Nigeria’s rapid economic growth – Envoy
- ‘Every Hole Is Memorable,’ Says Mark Immelman On Muirfield Village, Site Of Workday Charity Open
- Every Paul Schrader Movie, Ranked
- Holder makes big strides in ICC rankings
- Andy Murray maintains top spot in ATP rankings
- Danger of coronavirus second wave is real but avoidable, German health minister says
- Martina Navratilova questions Laura Robson's decision to play French Open after serious wrist injury
- Danger of coronavirus second wave in Germany is real but avoidable, health minister says
- US Open: Laura Robson's Olympic place in doubt after crashing out at Flushing Meadows
- World Matchplay 2020: MvG, Gary Anderson and James Wade feature on opening night
Open defecation: Nigeria ranked second in the World — FG have 499 words, post on www.vanguardngr.com at December 12, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.