Newcastle favourite Dabbawal has again beaten hot competition to celebrate success at The British Curry Awards.
The Indian street food kitchen in High Bridge in the city centre won the Best Casual Dining in the UK category at the awards ceremony held in London on Monday night.
The popular restaurant’s recipe for success has made it a familiar name at the star-studded event where it won the same category last year.
And it is once again celebrating what it calls “awesome news” following the ceremony which was attended by well-known faces from the worlds of entertainment and politics.
Dabbawal, which opened in 2008 and also has a branch in Jesmond as well as being a regular presence at street food markets, took to social media to share its delight after beating stiff competition.
It tweeted: “Awesome news – we’ve only gone and bagged the British Curry Award for Best Casual Dining in the country second year in a row!”
Thanking its team and its supporters, it added: “We are humbled to continue to be recognised as the original street food pioneers!”
The annual awards – now in their 14th year – signalled out a total of 13 winners, with Newcastle’s Dabbawal sharing the spotlight with a wide spread of restaurants.
Its win for the region was even more significant given the scope of the awards, with the winner of the Best in North East category named as a restaurant called Mumtaz which is in Bradford.
Among those in attendance on the night were comedian Russell Brand; TV presenter Hardeep Kohli; transport secretary Chris Grayling and former UKIP leader Nigel Farage who prompted boos from the audience when, during his presentation of an award, he jokingly offered thanks for their sponsoring of his salary.
Other winners on the night were Baluchi which won Best in London City and Suburbs; Chilli Tuk Tuk, also London, which won Best Takeaway; Indique, Manchester, winner of Best in North West; Asha’s in Birmingham which won the Inspiration Award; Rasoi Waterfront, Swansea, named Best in Wales, and Edinburgh’s Dishoom which was picked as Best Newcomer.
The rest were Malik’s Cookham in Maidenhead which took Best in South East; Light of Bengal, Aberdeen, named as Best in Scotland, and Koloshi Indian Restaurant, Cheltenham, which was Best in South West; while Pushkar in Birmingham was Best in Midlands and a Special Recognition Award when to Chef Rezual Karim from Stockholm.
- Critics' Choice Awards 2020: Phoebe Waller-Bridge looks elegant in black gown alongside glamorous Kate Beckinsale as they lead the British stars on the red carpet
- Winning streak! Renee Zellweger, Joaquin Phoenix, Laura Dern all triumph AGAIN at Critics' Choice Awards after Golden Globes success... and Brad Pitt gets a nod too but skips the show
- Inside the Critics' Choice Awards: All the action from the star-studded audience as Nicole Kidman and Charlize Theron reunite while Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez look completely smitten
- Florence Pugh, Antony Hopkins and 1917 lead the British nominations at the 92nd annual Academy Awards... with Sam Mendes war epic named in TEN categories
- Ex-boyfriend of British model who fell to her death from Australian cliff selfie spot pays tribute to 'my caring, absolute fave' as her mother pleads with trolls to stop mocking her daughter
- God's Own Country and Lady Macbeth triumph at British independent film awards
- Critics' Choice Awards: Annabelle Wallis dazzles in a plunging silver sequin backless gown as she scores another red carpet style win
- Academy Awards Fast Facts
- Critics' Choice Awards: Phoebe Waller-Bridge makes VERY X-rated speech as she leads the Brits with THREE gongs for Fleabag... as Andrew Scott, James Corden and Roman Griffin Davis also win big
- BRIT Awards 2020 Nominations: Lewis Capaldi is the front runner as singer joins Billie Eilish, Harry Styles and Stormzy in male-dominated shortlist
- Best dressed bombshells! Jennifer Lopez wows on the red carpet at the Critics' Choice Awards alongside Anne Hathaway, Zendaya and Charlize Theron and Sarah Snook
- British writers can’t win the big US prizes, so why can Americans win the Booker?
- Critics' Choice Awards 2020: Saoirse Ronan looks fabulous in florals as she joins her Little Women co-star Florence Pugh on the red carpet
- Rachel Brosnahan beams while taking group selfie with her glam squad ahead of Golden Globe Awards
- Critics' Choice Awards: Gwendoline Christie turns heads in an oversized menswear trouser suit
- Critics' Choice Awards: Kate Beckinsale dazzles in a glittering pale pink gown with dramatic silk train
- Top TV exports: The British shows which became hits all over the world
- 'Parasite' scores historic upset at SAG awards, boosting Oscar chances
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 3-'Parasite' scores upset at SAG awards, boosting Oscar chances
- Parasite wins big at SAG awards, boosting Oscar chances
Success for Newcastle's Dabbawal at The British Curry Awards have 762 words, post on www.chroniclelive.co.uk at November 27, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.