COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) — Sri Lanka’s president is ordering Parliament to reconvene Nov. 14, when lawmakers will get the chance to hold a confidence vote on the nation’s former strongman who has been named prime minister.
The announcement made in a decree Sunday comes amid a political crisis in the South Asian island nation.
President Maithripala Sirisena dismissed Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and his Cabinet and replaced him with former strongman Mahinda Rajapaksa last month. He also suspended Parliament in an apparent attempt to give Rajapaksa time to muster support to survive any no-confidence vote.
Political opponents, rights groups and foreign governments including United States have urged Sirisena to summon Parliament immediately and end the crisis.
Wickremesinghe had also demanded the convening of Parliament, saying he still controls a majority of lawmakers.
- Sri Lanka president dissolves parliament and calls for election amid political crisis
- Hangmen with 'excellent moral character' wanted as Sri Lanka cracks down on crime
- Sri Lanka bombings 'in retaliation' for Christchurch mosque shootings
- Sri Lankan president defeated in re-election bid
- Vietnam treasures ties with Sri Lanka: Party chief
- As India watches, China grows powerful in Sri Lanka
- All arrivals from India banned with immediate effect says Sri Lanka
- EU Parliament resolution puts spotlight on Sri Lanka’s rights situation
- Sri Lanka's president secures parliamentary majority
- Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa arrives in New Delhi on two-day visit, to meet PM Modi on November 29
- Australia deems Sri Lanka safe for Tamils like the Murugappan family from Biloela. But is it?
- Sri Lanka re-opens rail link to former war zone after 24 years
- Eight explosions rock Sri Lanka, curfew called as death toll climbs
- Sri Lanka's new government to investigate coup claims
- 'It feels like this country is not for us': Tamils fear ongoing persecution in Sri Lanka
- Expect Sri Lanka to remain mindful of bilateral ties, says India on port project
- China-Sri Lanka Friendship Hospital inaugurated in Polonnaruwa
- Sri Lanka reconciliation efforts slammed on civil war anniversary
- Sri Lanka: war over, rebel leader dead
- Sri Lanka's Tamils struggling to rebuild in post-war Jaffna
Sri Lanka president summons Parliament amid political crisis have 333 words, post on www.chron.com at November 4, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.