OPINION: Joe Moody’s run of injuries has been both a blessing and a curse for the All Blacks.
With his tour over and his eyelid torn, Moody will spend the next couple of weeks in camp watching others do his job.
By all accounts, the details of the injury are gruesome. His eyelid was split vertically by a rogue hand at lineout practice, leaving him bloodied and unable to close it.
Three layers of stitching were required, but the All Blacks have become used to fixing up the holes left by Moody’s bad luck this year.
If it wasn’t for shoulder, thumb, finger and knee injuries this year, Karl Tu’inukuafe mightn’t have got the chance to have a fairytale start to his test career. Angus Ta’avao probably wouldn’t have told a similar rags-to-riches rugby story to Tu’inukafe.
Because of Moody’s injuries, the All Blacks have international-standard depth at loosehead prop that simply wasn’t there at the start of the season.
Now, Tu’inukuafe looks likely to get more game time on Sunday and Ta’avao has come back into the squad as cover.
So, while Moody will be missed at Twickenham, his 2018 plight means he won’t be as missed this year as he would have in years gone by.
A year out from the World Cup, if the All Blacks need a ‘Stephen Donald’ at loosehead prop, they’ll have no trouble finding one.
Ross Karl is Newhub’s rugby reporter, on tour with the All Blacks. Join us at 4am Sunday for live updates of the All Blacks vs England test at Twickenham.
- ACM Awards 2018: Carrie Underwood looks flawless as she gives emotional first performance since devastating facial injury
- Charly Bliss, The Black Angels, Incubus, and more in this week’s music reviews
- The 9 Weirdest Italian Horror Movies
- Insidious: Into the Further Maze Comes to Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights
- As El Paso Walmart reopens, residents find healing after the horror
- The Falcons vs Panthers Game Headlines the Week 11 Injury Report
- NFL Week 11 Injury Report: A Lot of Injuries in the Falcons vs Panthers Game
- NFL Week 11 Injury Report: A Lot of Injuries in the Jaguars vs Colts Game
- NFL Week 11 injuries: James Conner ready to return, Jacoby Brissett in line to start for Colts
- 5 More Marvel Horror Movies Worth Making
- Joe Denly thought tour of New Zealand was over after ankle injury
- Dodgers enter offseason searching for pieces to help get across October finish line
- How England could line up vs Montenegro with prolific Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham in frame to replace Sterling
- GQ Men Of The Year Awards 2019: Victoria Beckham dons a chic trouser suit, Kylie Minogue and Nicole Kidman stun in gowns and Rita Ora rocks black lace as they lead the crème de la crème on the red carpet
- SXSW 2018: 30 Best Artists We Saw at the Austin Throwdown
- The Latest: Bengals receiver Tate carted off field
- How Jennifer Lawrence Took Over Hollywood. (It’s Not Just Because of Her Charm.)
- Nationals host Dodgers, look to build on Sanchez’s strong outing
- NFL Week 11 grades: Bills get an 'A' for destroying Dolphins, Patriots earn a 'B' for shutting down Eagles
- Nationals, streaking Rendon set for matchup with Braves
Ross Karl: All Blacks' silver lining to Joe Moody's horror injury run have 528 words, post on www.newshub.co.nz at November 7, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.