Mayor Ras Baraka is trying to walk a narrow path: bring in new money and development without shoving out old Newarkers. Photo: Howard Kingsnorth/Getty Images Can a beaten-down downtown find a way to thrive without getting pummeled by gentrification? Can longtime residents who have paid their dues in suffering welcome newcomers without losing their sense of home? Can a once handsome but dilapidated center rebuild without resorting to shiny ugliness? One of the unlikeliest places to come looking for a yes to each of these questions may be Newark, New Jersey’s Central Ward, where forlorn history and frantic optimism mix in a distinctive local brew. There’s a snap of fresh money in the air these days. Cranes are doing slow-mo pirouettes above the skyline. Clusters of New York developers stroll up and down Broad Street, scouting sites and counting future residents. Glossy renderings circulate again, and this time they’re coming to fruition. There are also toxic chemicals in the drinking water: lead in some buildings with corroded pipes and high levels of a possible carcinogen, haloacetic acid, at eight different testing sites, including one downtown. You could hardly ask for a starker example of the bifurcation that is plaguing American cities:… Read full this story
- ‘World of Final Fantasy’ Latest News & Update: Newest Update 1.01 Causes Blurry Visuals in PlayStation 4 Pro
- 'Final Fantasy' Latest News & Update: 'FF XV' Season Pass For Sale; Contents & Updates Now Available!
- League Of Legends Preps For World Finals With Latest Patch
- ‘World of Final Fantasy’ Latest News & Update: Conversations Available in Dual-Audio with Subtitles; Improved Active Time Battle
- 'Final Fantasy' Latest Rumors, News and Updates: Square Enix Wants To Bring Final Fantasy XIV To Xbox One
- Nintendo finally solves the problem of everyone wanting to play Yoshi
- PS4 Cross-Play Is Finally Real; Fortnite Beta Is Live
- It’s Finally Real! – Mount & Blade II
- Final Fantasy XIV is adding a mega-scale hunting ground
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Positive Tale Born From Disaster
Newark’s Revival Is Finally Real. So Is Its Latest Problem. have 347 words, post on nymag.com at November 5, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.