Graduates attend the International Islamic University Malaysia’s 34th convocation ceremony in Gombak in November 2018 (Photo: www.malaymail.com) Kuala Lumpur (VNA) – Malaysia’s Cabinet has approved legal amendments that will allow college and university students to participate in political activities on campus. The amendments to the Universities and University Colleges Act (UUCA) 1971 will involve abolishing sections which curtail students’ questioning of politicians and prevent students from engaging in party events where they study, said Malaysian Education Minister Maszlee Malik in a media statement. He said this move is in line with the political transformation brought by the government in strengthening democracy and to provide more room for university students to speak up and engage in political activities on campus. This move will also produce graduates who are “balanced” and able to “express opinions” on current issues, he said. The Malaysian government has also announced plans to lower the voting age to 18 years old, from 21 years old currently. The UUCA provisions were tightened up to restrict student activism in 1975, after the landmark Baling protests of December 1974. That was when thousands of university students demonstrated in the small town of Baling, Kedah, in solidarity with rubber tappers… Read full this story
- HP govt lifts ban on plastic straws for 6 months
- US Calls on Russia to Lift Ban on Jehovah's Witnesses - State Department
- Taiwan urges Philippines to lift ban on its citizens over coronavirus fears
- Solid demand lifts India services activity to 7 year high in January
- Enforcement of Malaysia’s Smoking Ban Sparks Controversy
- Tour resumes as Zimbabwe lift ban
- Botswana holds auctions for elephant hunting licenses after lifting ban
- Germany's Cabinet approves ban on gay, transgender 'conversion therapy'
- US urged to lift ban on travel aimed at keeping virus at bay
- Maharashtra urges Centre to lift ban on onion exports, as fresh harvest enters market
Malaysia’s Cabinet lifts ban on political activities in universities have 316 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at November 12, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.