Mai Chau among Asia’s travel hotspots and their off-the-beaten path alternatives.
A party town at heart, Nha Trang is still a must-visit location for many backpackers making their way through Vietnam. And while Dalat certainly isn’t unknown or uncrowded, it definitely has an alternative scene and unique atmosphere when comparing it to the rest of Vietnam. Head here instead if you want to check out the hillsides dotted with French-colonial villas, the mini replica Eiffel Tower, and widespread farmlands cultivating fruits and flowers.
“Dalat also has a slightly cooler climate, and it’s popular with outdoor adrenaline junkies who want to try their hand at white water rafting, canyoning and mountain biking,” Daily Hive wrote.
Hanoi is the incredible capital city of Vietnam, known for its centuries-old architecture and deep history. The chaotic Old Quarter of Hanoi couldn’t be more removed from the rolling green hills and patchwork of rice fields that surround the village of Mai Chau.
“The ultimate destination for hiking, relaxation, and smooth cycling, Mai Chau is the ideal getaway spot. If you like the idea of waking up in traditional stilt housing to the sound of birdsong, then this place is a bit of you,” Daily Hive wrote.
Vietnam welcomed more than 12 million foreign holidaymakers in the first ten months of 2018, a 22.4% increase from the same period last year, according to the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism (VNAT).
Arrivals by road, air and sea in the reviewed period recorded annual increases of 62.5%, 16.7% and 2.3%, respectively, while growth was also seen in the numbers of visitors from all five continents.
- 'Jesus Camp' docu stays off beaten path
- The top 10 most-Instagrammed locations are bound to give you the travel itch
- Path of Exile 'Delve' takes players into an endless haunted mine
- Super Typhoon Mangkhut is hurtling toward 37 million people in Asia with winds of 180 mph
- The ultimate 2019 travel list: Where to go in Italy this year
- Hollywood elite's high-end travel
- 12 things I wish I'd known before going on safari in Sri Lanka, which I'm convinced is going to be Asia's next tourist hotspot
- My new must-have travel gadget saved me a ton on cell phone data on my last international trip
- New University Rules Encourage Scientists to Avoid Air Travel
- I took a $3, 7-hour train ride through Sri Lanka's hill country — and it was unlike any travel experience I've ever had